You can set up a screen lock to help secure your Android phone or tablet. Each time that you turn on your device or wake up the screen, you’ll be asked to unlock your device, usually with a PIN, pattern or password. On some devices, you can unlock with your fingerprint.
- Some of these steps work only on Android 10 and up. Learn how to check your Android version.
- Some of these steps require you to touch the screen.
Set or change a screen lock
Important: To ensure your automatic and manual backups are encrypted with your screen lock, use a PIN, pattern or a password. Learn how to back up or restore data on your phone.
- Open your phone's Settings app.
- Tap Security.
- To choose a kind of screen lock, tap Screen lock.
- If you’ve already set a lock, you’ll need to enter your PIN, pattern or password before you can pick a different lock.
- Tap the screen lock option that you’d like to use. Follow the on-screen instructions.
- To change your screen lock's settings, next to 'Screen lock', tap Settings . Settings include automatic lock timing, Power button locking and a lock screen message.
Screen lock options
Tip: You can temporarily turn off fingerprint unlocking and Smart Lock by turning on lockdown. Learn how to use lockdown.