Use your Pixelbook to chat with your friends through Messages, which shows what's on your Messages mobile app. Messages sends SMS messages using a connection from your Pixelbook to your phone, so carrier fees will apply, just like on the mobile app.
Once you connect with your Android phone and enable Messages on your Pixelbook, you'll get message notifications and be able to reply to notifications inline, even when the Messages app is closed.
For your Chrome OS device, you'll need:
- A connected Android phone
- An internet connection
For your phone, you’ll need:
- Android version L-MR1 and up
- The latest version of Messages
- Messages set as the default SMS app
- A Wi-Fi or data connection
Tip: You might get charged for data if you use your phone. To avoid extra charges, connect your phone to Wi-Fi.
Set up Messages on your device
- If you haven’t already, connect your phone to your Chrome OS device.
Note: If you disable or remove your connected phone, you’ll be signed out of the Messages app on your device.
- Open Messages on your Chrome OS device. Then follow the steps in the Messages app on your device to authorize your phone.
- Optional: If you turn off the toggle to "Remember this computer," you'll still be signed in to Messages on your device.
- When the Messages app opens, you can start sending and receiving texts.
To learn how to connect your Android phone, see Related articles.
- The QR code for Messages for web is unique to your computer and pairs the mobile app to that computer. You can pair your Messages account on multiple devices, but only one will be active at a time. When you open Messages for web on a computer, your conversations on any other computers or browser tabs will become inactive.
- Your latest conversation threads, contacts, and other settings will be encrypted and cached on your browser. If you don't use your Messages account for 14 days, you’ll automatically be signed out for security reasons.
See your Messages on your device
When you get a new message, you'll see a notification in the bottom right of your screen.
If the Messages app is closed on your device, you'll still receive new message notifications in the bottom right of your screen, and be able to reply inline.
Sign out of Messages on your device
Signing out helps keep other people from seeing your messages and sensitive info, like two factor verification codes or personal details.
- In laptop mode: Click the Launcher Up Arrow Messages . In tablet mode: Go to your Home screen. To get there, tap the Launcher in the bottom corner of the screen. Then select Messages .
- At the top left, select More Sign out.
Note: If you sign out of Messages or don't enable it all, you'll still be connected to other connected phone features.