Automatically back up photos & videos from your computer or camera
Save all your photos and videos to your Google Account from your Windows or Mac computer and any time you connect a phone, camera, or storage card.
Back up your cameras, phones, & storage cardsIf you choose to upload photos from your phone, camera, or storage cards in the set up, then every time you connect that device to your computer, the photos and videos on them will upload automatically (after prompting you the first time). Auto Backup uses your Google Drive storage and uploads at full size by default. You can change these settings any time in your Auto Backup Preferences.
Learn moreSupported files types
Photo: .jpg, .webp, .gif, .crw, .cr2, .nef, .dng, .orf, .raf, .arw, .pef, .srw, .rw2
Video: .mpg, .mod, .mmv, .tod, .wmv, .asf, .avi, .divx, .mov, .m4v, .3gp, .3g2, .mp4, .m2t, .m2ts, .mts, .mkv
If you created a Google Photos folder in your My Drive folder, you might be taking up unnecessary space on your computer if you use these features together:
- Google Drive sync for your Mac or PC
- Auto Backup for Desktop
To help prevent this, exclude the Google Photos folder from your syncing preferences in Google Drive for your Mac or PC:
- Click the Google Drive icon.
- On a Mac, the icon is usually found in the menu bar at the top right of your desktop screen.
- On a PC, the icon is usually found in the taskbar in the bottom right of your desktop screen.
- Select Preferences.
- Check the box next to "Only sync some folders to this computer."
- Select which folders you'd like to sync to your Google Drive folder, excluding the Google Photos folder.
- Click Apply changes.