/photos/community?hl=en
This content is likely not relevant anymore. Try searching or browse recent questions.
I want to delete all photos from Google Photos
I have read multiple posts and threads on deleting all photos at once from Google Photos. They all say to select 1st photo by clicking shift and than last photo and than release shift to select bulk images.
This is where the issue starts.

1 - I can only select 20 to 25 photos visible on screen. Can't scroll anyhow to select more photos below.

2 - When I decrease zoom so I can select more photos, chrome starts freezing.

3 - When I tried from Android app, photos reappears again and again even though back up and sync is off and I have deleted photos from device.

Kindly suggest me aome other way to delete the photos
Details
Pinned
Latest Update Latest Updates (0)
Relevant Answer Relevant Answers (0)
All Replies (133)
Relevant Answer
Hi Jin,

Welcome to the Google Photos Help Forum!

NOT: "clicking shift and than last photo and than release shift to select bulk images."

Yes:  Click the first image in the range, scroll to end of range (not more than about 500 to be safe), THEN hold the shift key until the selection turns blue color and select last image in the range.  Then click the Garbage Can icon.

Practice on smaller groups of photos until you are comfortable.

On a slow internet connection (up/down) this can be awkward.

Let me know if this works.

Good luck!  Dougsap (volunteer Google Photos user)
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Thanks for the reply sir. But I tried everything. I have around 40mbps internet speed. I think that must be sufficient. I have more than 50000 pics and selecting 50 to 100 pics will take days to delete all pics.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Hi Jin,

Make sure that the first image you select is THE IMAGE,  NOT THE DATE.

Example:

I have successfully selected ranges 100s of times.

Start small and get comfortable with how it works, then start doing larger numbers of images.

Best regards,  Dougsap (volunteer Google Photos user)
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Hello, I have a problem with the photos I uploaded some years ago on Panoramio and that now appear on my Google Foto page. Well their size is much more than 15 Gigabyte and I could have problems in receive emails, so that I would ask you and authorize to delete all of them.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
@user 2038...
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
BUT REMEMBER: If you use Apple products, run a test by deleting an ugly photo from Google Photos first to find out WHETHER OR NOT deleting photos from Google Photos will ALSO permanently delete them from iCloud and all of the Apple devices that are signed in to your Apple ID. 

You might want to delete a large selection of photos from both Google Photos and (Apple) Photos or you might not. 

I hope Google Photos gives us both options and makes it clear that both options are available and makes it difficult to click the wrong option accidentally.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Hey Jin. The thing is that you need to scroll through the pictures, you can't just drag on the scrollbar to reach the last one, otherwise the tumbnails won't be loaded and then google photos won't be able to do the range selection. Bad design if you ask me.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Google Photos has gone to absolute rat shit!!!! First, they take away the Picasa desktop software, then the Picasa/Google Photos uploading software, and they limit you to 15 GB of free, original resolution photo storage when Shutterfly, Amazon, and others can offer unlimited photo storage for free.

So, I tried moving all the photos out of my Google Photos directory on my PC to another, non-cloud synced folder and all that did was delete them from Google Drive! Apparently, Google is storing them in TWO places and only lets me select above 25-50 photos at a time to delete them all.

Worst photo storage service...I will NEVER be back, at least when it comes to Google Photos. And all you Google fanboys and fangirls can save your opinions.

I would rather use either of the following:
- IDrive;
- Amazon Photos;
- Photobucket;
- Shutterfly;
- SmugMug;
- Flickr;
- or Microsoft Photos

before I come back to Google Photos.

Cheers,
Doug
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I used this script: https://github.com/mrishab/google-photos-delete-tool/

Pressing the SHIFT and selecting the first and last image didn't work for me as I had over thousands of images. When I somehow managed to select around 6K images, the delete button stopped working.

I found using the script a lot easier - just copy and paste the code and run.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
It's a shame that the photos are now a "Roach Motel". I have 75GB of photos I want to delete. At the rate I am going, it will take months to delete them. Even the JavaScript linked above is slow, and it stops after only a few hundred pictures. I am absolutely disgusted by Google's insistence on keeping my photos and making it effectively impossible for me to delete them.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
It took all day, but I manually deleted all my tens of thousands of photos. And then all my mail. All my contacts. All my history,. Every shred of data Google has one me, gone. I'm out. Best of luck to everyone. I suggest you get out while you can.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I add same experience: 40 GB of images I want to delete.  I opened ticket with Google Support but they say that I should cancel (small) roups at once ... days & days !    I guys what about the Githib's tool here above ? Is it sure?  Thanks
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
There appears to be confusion about how to select multiple files. This is what works for me.
1.      Left click on the first file.
2.      Scroll to what is to be your last file.
3.      Press and hold the shift key
4.      Then select the last file.
Note: Do not select the “Date”. Selecting the Date (check mark) only selects that group of files.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Insane bullshit. Basic file management ability is missing and it keeps eating your pictures like crazy.

I just got a new phone that somehow "accidentally" had suddenly photobackup upload enabled, although I turned that off before, and then it sucked ALL THE THOUSANDS of pictures off my SD card and put them by timestamps in entirely scrambled order between the already finished albums. So since there is zero capability to filter or browse anything, I had to batch-delete with provided script above and now disabled and deleted everything Google Photo on all phones and friends phones and families phones and recommending next week for the whole company I sysadmin to disable google photo professionally and privately because of offensive design practices, hopefully reaching numbers in the thousands to stop using Google Photo.

The improvised script only works if you set the language to English.

Google Photo includes like photographed credit cards send over Skype, Email pictures with confidental document scans and all that bullshit which you can't  help to have on a phone's SD card nowadays. If its just sucking up all kinds of stuff without WHITELISTING folders first, its even more mental than anything else already said here. It can't even display filenames, not the simplest function or failsave is implemented.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
The scroll doesn't work when shift is held and the selection get's free once I release shift.
If one is not comfortable with using scripts what are the options left for those trapped in Google Photos?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
20190218 bug still exists. This is a terrible and really noob mistake to make that doesn't exist on ANY of my other photo services. Tempted to delete my entire Google account because of this. I DIDN'T EVEN WANT YOU TO HAVE MY PHOTOS but synch was turned on by default and now I can't delete them!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Me too.  Today I connected my phone to charge as I usually do.  And all of a sudden all my photos were uploaded.  Don't have time to delete all one by one.  And also, this is is my work account.  On top of that Google archives everything even if I delete the photos.  Dang...
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I want to get out of this
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
this is unethical. please allow people to delete their own photos. if you think you will get the money for extra storage after you suck up all the data from the users and refuse to delete it you will only get hate and boycott not the money.

at the moment the only way to delete photos is by clicking them one at the time many thousands of time while you suck up user data in bulk. very ugly. DON'T BE EVIL.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
it's really a nightmare to get rid of the photos on google photos. I haven't made it yet. As Google create an absolute chaos with my photos, duplicating and tripling them, I just wanted to empty my account (which by the mentioned multiplication reached 30000 photos) and start again without duplicity and with a better sorting. 
In my desktop computer I spent hours deleting the 30.000 photos by sending them to the bin in groups of 500 (selecting them beforehand), a super tedious task. Well, the nightmare continues, the photos remain on the google photos of my iphone -I have now removed the application- and in my laptop.
It's totally IMMORAL and UNETHICAL  what google is doing preventing people from deleting their own photos. 
If there is no other way, I will delete my gmail account associated with google photos and use other storage services.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
There used to be provision to "select all" .. that seems to have gone away sadly. Selecting things day by day day .. no thanks. Turned off synch w/ Google Photos. I get the old USB cable and connect to my phone.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
this is mad. Its an obvious push to make people rent cloud space , instead were going to leave !
This is not why google became popular. add the select all button! make people confirm they want to delete pictures 3 times and have a restore all within X number of days if your really worried about people deleting all there pics.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I'm having the same problem if I try to do all my photos. It is working for a subset of photos taken on different dates so I'm thinking that perhaps there is a limit of how many files can be selected with SHIFT-LEFT CLICK option. It would be best for me if CTRL-A worked to select all files.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
None of your advice works for deleting ALL pictures!
PLEASE SORT THIS OUT!!!!!!!!!!!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Thinking of dropping this Google account. Starting again!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Irritated but should of known better. This app is so intrusive. I never turned on backup.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
The best way to get this done is to use backup and sync.  Its a pain but you will need to have backup and sync download all of your photos and videos to either your computer or an external drive and trash the hard copy files from your computer in windows explorer (windows) or finder (mac).  backup and sync will then tell drive to trash everything on the cloud side.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I want all my pictues deleted off
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Thanks. This is exactly what I ended up doing. What a garbage website.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I've just had the same issue, backing up my photos while my phone was away for repair. Getting them back onto my phone/laptop and off google photos/google drive took forever.

They're not alone, Apple do the same thing. Their system is arguably worse with no way to track the progress of your downloads. It's immoral at best and illegal at worst.

GDPR demands that you and your data have the rite to be forgotten. Surely this is in breach? You'd think after the celebrity phone hacking a few years back they'd have made this a doddle.

This isn't a design flaw - it's clearly intentional.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
This is absolutely ridiculous that I can't just delete all. I have 26,000 photos. Selecting 500 - 100 at a time is utterly ridiculous.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Google:  Please just add a "Delete All" button and solve this for us. It's not a difficult fix. As it's not been done, I'd be very curious to understand the rationale. I too have so many photos that the process outlined above is not a solution for me.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I have photo's dating back to 2003 I'd like to delete... hundreds of thousands, how do I do this 500 at a time?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I agree, there should be SOME way of deleting all photos, EVERYTHING, from Google Photos.  I've got several hundred thousand in there due to automatic backups from my phone, and want to get rid of everything to selectively put back what I want.  Google makes this an impossible task - 500 at a time?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I want to delete photos from my iPhone so haven’t got a shift key.  It’s a nightmare deleting all photos it really should be simpler
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
That is exactly the point, they do not want you to delete them so they make it so hard and time consuming. Remember they illegally use your images to pick ad's and learn about you.  It is how they keep this free, they watch and spy on everything you do.  So I am going to spend my Easter holiday weekend wasting hours to delete pictures going back many years instead of a simple 1 click delete all option.  Heck with Google why I am switching in the first place, but want to delete all my stuff first.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
What you do is just select and shift + select and hovering over turns them all blue.
The terminology I learned.
You have to scroll through your camera roll and let all the objects grab a preview for it to work right.
I recommend going to the beginning of your timeline on the bottom and just using the arrow up key or page up just keep going all the way up and let all the elements grab a preview and you can delete them then.
*updated 4-27-2019
Its pretty easy now.  Just select the first element by clicking on the check mark ✓ and then slowly scroll through letting object previews appear and when you get to a stopping point press and hold shift (see they all turn blue) and click the last object ○ and click on the trash can.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Dear. Sir I want to delete my all photos so please deleted my all photos
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I want to get out of Google Picture.., you are publishing everything in my folders receipts and everything
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
 delete these pictures
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Isn't there a way to delete EVERY picture without having to do the select/shift/select? I have thousands and it's taking forever
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I switched from Apple to Google thinking it would be better.  Google is horrendous.  The Google Drive and photos tries every possible way to not give you your data so that you'll cough up the monthly upcharge for storage.  I hate you so much - more than Apple at this point. I didn't think that was possible.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I can't believe there isn't a Delete All option somewhere.   I uploaded 135 GB of pictures. They were all in folders and Google pulled them out which caused the titles/naming protocal to be lost. So the pictures need to be removed. Highlighting and deleting in batches in ridiculous. There has to be a Delete All Option. Please let me know where to find it. Thanks in advance. Rich
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same question, with more than 100'000 pictures...
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Google should include select al or select manually...
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Agreed. Google seems to love making products and not supporting them
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
@all
This is a user to user forum, and there is nothing more we can do than telling you that there is no easy way to delete all photos at once. You must select photos in batches and delete them. There is no other way. 

Also note that no one from Google seems to read what is posted on this forum. To share your wishes with the Photos team you can send feedback via the main menu of https://photos.google.com/. We have no idea though whether that will have any effect.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
@janvb yes we're well aware this is a user forum, however people need to vent about this **** product which is lacking the most basic features. Many of us have already forwarded this to Google and we get a copy/paste response because they just don't care. Hopefully if enough post here then it will gain enough traction to get on the Google radar. Until then people will keep venting here so I suggest you invite the thread.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
lol, there is no solution to delete all the pictures on google photo. And whyyyyyy? Because u use them, espacially the ones who has alot. Gonna try delete my account then, hope it will no has hard.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I believe you and select the top few photos and press the End key to the last page, then SHIFT select the last photo to select all photos. When I hit the delete button, it asked me if I want to delete 1288 photos. But I'm sure I have around 2850 photos. However, all photos were deleted and moved to trash. I guess it's probably a Javascript bug of the photo count on the delete button. This method saves the most time.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
@Jin Thomson
Hi People, I had the same issue and built this script for automating it:
https://github.com/mrishab/google-photos-delete-tool

Just copy-paste the code and it delete all your images from Google Photos :)
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I edited my new location for my business Kefnour Security Services and was shocked to still see my old location of photos and cache ones also, i want these all removed by Google with immediate effect as its csusing confusion with customers, also it still states Middlesbrough still aa the business is not in this location.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I hope Google engineers understand how almost useless Google Photos is.  Many many usability issues, like this one.  Can't find dups, can't select more than 25 photos, can see the photo files, etc.

Am switching to either Microsoft OneDrive or Apple iCloud.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Delete all my photos
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I have checked the code from the delete tool on github. I can't find anything suspicious about it. Just the confirmation button was not working at first, but a recent pull request fixes that. Now it's running like a charm... Finally :-)
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
If you have a lot of photos this process takes a long time. Also, sometimes you will get a "couldn't delete" message for no reason at all. Time to start scrolling again! This could be a 5 second operation (select all my photos please) that has taken me approximate an hour so far.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Hi,

Can we only only delete maximum of 500 Photos at a time via Shift click scroll? or the we can select more than that?

Thanks,
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
@James Alfred Lopez
Yes you can select more than 500. See "Recommended answers" on top of this thread.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I did read that James. That procedure works sometimes and sometimes doesn’t if you try to select “too many”. 

It is ridiculous to have to spend over an hour to delete a large library of photos when the procedure could be done in seconds with a “delete all” option. 

I feel this is google purposely making i more difficult for someone to disassociate from their service.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I agree. They are making it difficult, probably hoping you will buy more storage. Totally unfair there is not a quick delete all with confirmation option.  I mainly want to download my photos and back them up myself from my phone in order to get the back camera to work again on my phone.  All this automatic syncing frustrates me no end.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Then we can send a "Feature or Product" request to make this possible in the future. To have an option from Google Photos web or app that enables the user to delete all of the photos in one go. But then again it should have a proper disclaimer.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
This is clunky by design. It helps them sell the upgraded accounts. Google has really abandoned their initial motto.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Script worked, had multiple tabs, had to keep refreshing and re-pasting, could multi task atleast about how insane this is. Once they were so helpful now its like ransomware
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I can't believe how hard it is to delete all the photos on google photos. It really should not be this hard.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Why is there not a "Select All" button or why doesn't CTL + A work to select all.  What a stupid design.  I thought this was MY data?  Why does Google make it so painful to delete ALL my photos?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Completely agree. I did not ask for a cloud backup of my photos. This should be guarded by a privacy option. On my mobile the photo backup function is in the off mode, but Google still makes a backup. There should be an easy option to delete all MY photos from Google drive/Google one and no sneaky backup.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I have the same problem. I can't select all my photos to delete them. I never agreed to have all my photos backed up to google. Why is it so difficult for consumers to delete their own photos and data?!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Parsanal Video delete Reply files.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
 Parsanal video delete Riply files
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Ben Clarke's method is brilliant. I got rid of my memories throughout the decade that's not worth remembering. XD But seriously, it works. Happy new year.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I never send this message
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Hi.  I think there should be a "Wipe storage" option for security purposes. Demand confirmation, of course, but this method of selecting several hundred photos at a time is very tedious.
I backup my photos to my own NAS at home, and tried my best to backup my Android phone WITHOUT photos, but up they went anyway overnight and filled my quota. I just want no personal photos in my google drive.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
1. Select 1st image.
2. Press and hold the Shift Key.
3. Use Year wise navigation to move down (right side of the screen)
4. Click the last image (If you clicked so far away, try short term period and continue until the end)
5. Release Shift key and Delete
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Doesn’t work in the browser on an iPad :/

Any suggestions on bulk delete? I wouldn’t have ever uploaded had I known. Thankfully, its no longer a default on my app.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I tried dozens of ways.  The method described by janvb worked beautifully.  Follow janvb's instructions EXACTLY.  Largest grouping I deleted was 3500 photos.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
This is fuckin ridiculous, just have a button that says delete all Google!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Not the words, Dan, but here, here the message; & move/download. I don't need to wait for a zip file to be created then downloaded!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I'm deeply sorry to know that GP doen't have a wipe all button, or a smart method to delete a lot of picutres. You could put countermeasures to prevent a misclick.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Rafael Viegas
I am sure they could implement a better way, but posting it here will not help since we are all users. You can submit feedback via the main menu of Google Photos. You will not get a reply, but Google claims that they do monitor the feedback.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Thank you for that advice.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
What worked for me is just writing a little script to delete everything after disable sync on my device, but if the sync is ever turned on you can loose all the photos on the device.
Also I have to say please note that running any script you find online is dangerous, only run script that you trust.

The script below will keep selecting images and deleting them, 

Steps:
1- Run in in the developer console (press F12 then open the console tab).
2- Past code and press Enter
3- Check back later and there should be no more pics after some minutes but that depends on your internet speed.
4- After images are deleted you can go to trash and clear it or it will be on it's own in 60 days.

To stop or cancel:
   Refresh page and you can undo deletions from the trash within 60 days

for(i = 1; i<=9999; i++) {
    console.log("Iteration # --> " + i);
    document.querySelectorAll('div[role=checkbox]').forEach(div=>div.click());
    document.querySelectorAll('div[aria-label*="Select all photos"]').forEach(div=>div.click());
    await new Promise(r => setTimeout(r, 3000));
try{console.log("Selected documents count for iteration [" + i + "]: " + document.evaluate('/html/body/div[1]/div/c-wiz/c-wiz[2]/span/div[1]/div/span', document, null, XPathResult.FIRST_ORDERED_NODE_TYPE, null).singleNodeValue.innerText);}catch(ex){/*do nothing*/}
    document.querySelector('button[title=Delete]').click();
    await new Promise(r => setTimeout(r, 5000));
    document.evaluate('//span[text()="Move to trash"]', document, null, XPathResult.ANY_TYPE, null ).iterateNext().click();

//wait for new images to load
    await new Promise(r => setTimeout(r, 10000));
}
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Fantastic, Mohamed! Works great!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Thanks Mohammed! https://support.google.com/photos/thread/197868?hl=en&msgid=35064693

Your script did the job. It's CRAZY that it's so hard to simple select all albums or all found images...!

TIP for others Googling to this: zoom the page out as much as possible, make the screen as big as possible and have the script run. It can do well over 100 images in each iteration. Just paste the code to the console, press Enter (Opera) and be done with it :)
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Awesome script. Crazy that this functionality doesn't exist out of the box. Thanks Mohamed! Saved my week :)
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
puuufffff one more re4azon to not used google photo.... too hard to get rid of it
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
A classic example of deliberate design choices to discourage users from deleting their data. Same as in all their other products.

It's things like this that has lead me to stop using Google products wherever I can. Not that they care, as Google has grown big enough to not need to care about the loss of a insignificant percentage of their (once loyal) users.

Oh how I've grown to detest this company.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
 Delete Google photos all photos recoverey
marked this as an answer
This question is locked and replying has been disabled.
Discard post? You will lose what you have written so far.
Write a reply
10 characters required
Failed to attach file, click here to try again.
Discard post?
You will lose what you have written so far.
Personal information found

We found the following personal information in your message:

This information will be visible to anyone who visits or subscribes to notifications for this post. Are you sure you want to continue?

A problem occurred. Please try again.
Create Reply
Edit Reply
This will remove the reply from the Answers section.
Notifications are off
Your notifications are currently off and you won't receive subscription updates. To turn them on, go to Notifications preferences on your Profile page.
Report abuse
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
What type of post are you reporting?
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
This reply is no longer available.
/photos/threads
//accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin
You'll receive email notifications for new posts at
Unable to delete question.
Unable to update vote.
Unable to update subscription.
You have been unsubscribed
Deleted
Unable to delete reply.
Removed from Answers
Removed from Updates
Marked as Recommended Answer
Marked as Update
Removed recommendation
Undo
Unable to update reply.
Unable to update vote.
Thank you. Your response was recorded.
Unable to undo vote.
Thank you. This reply will now display in the answers section.
Link copied
Unlocked
Unable to lock
Unable to unlock
Pinned
Unpinned
Unable to pin
Unable to unpin
Marked
Unmarked
Unable to mark
Reported as off topic