/photos/community?hl=en
This content is likely not relevant anymore. Try searching or browse recent questions.
Let Friends Use My Storage Quota 0 Recommended Answers 15 Replies 2 Upvotes
1 Update
$0 Updates
1 Recommended Answer
$0 Recommended Answers
1 Relevant Answer
$0 Relevant Answers
Would it be possible to allow friends to upload photos to my shared album, and make this files count against MY storage quota?

As of now, before sharing a photo every user has to upload it to his/her own account (i.e. counting against his/her own storage quota). Since June 1st 2021, users without storage quota will not be able to upload photos. I would like friends to be able to use MY storage quota, so that I don't have to force them to buy a Google subscription in order to share their photos with me. Will you be implementing this option?

Thank you for your help,
Giordano
Relevant Answer Relevant Answers (0)
All Replies (15)
Relevant Answer
@Giordano
When they open your shared album in the browser of their "Macbooks", they can add nicely edited pictures straight from their computer. 
But when they stay on their poor mobiles, they can't reach their local folders & files indeed and then they are dependant on their own collection at Google. 
But they don't need to use original quality uploads just for you only :-)
Most people just use Google for safety and then high quality still is much better then Whatsapp :-)

Please be aware that there are no Google employees here, so we can't know about any plans.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Thanks a lot for your reply. I am afraid that you totally missed my point.
Until June 1st it is possible to upload photos "for free", as long as they are "High Quality" and NOT "Original Quality", both from PC and mobile.
From June 1st, any image will count against your quota (i.e., no "for free" anymore).
Even if you upload to my shared album from "your Macbook", the image will take up space on YOUR Google account.
I would like to have the option of you uploading an image to MY album = MY storage space.

Does anyone know how we can request Google for this missing feature?
Thanks for your help,
Giordano
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
@Giordano
If I upload upload straight from my Windows-laptop into your album, I don't use any byte at Google myself. Do you have any proof that this not true? 
But on Android or iPhone I only can add from without my own library at Google - and that makes te difference for high quality after June 1 if I need to add new uploads to my own albums first before I can add them to your album. So this is a typical mobile limitation. 

But even if that was the case: at high quality that usage is quite moderate and because I also will have private albums at Google, I simply have to accept that I may need to start paying 22 dollars per year somewhere in 2022 while I am thrinking 22 dollars of wine per month at least :-)

But you are free to complain straight at Google via the feedback option under your profile circle right-up. 
They will reply with "Thank you" and thereafter you probably can wait forever because of "no priority". 

So better listen to us - we are free of charge :-)

marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
@Rinus
"If I upload straight from PC, I don't use any byte at Google" -> I believe you mean that uploading photos/videos from PC does not take any of your quota.
This will change on June 1st 2021.
https://blog.google/products/photos/storage-changes/

I will be paying for space myself, no problem.
But I cannot ask all my friends to do that just to share photos with me (most don't care/use Google Photos).
Hence, I would like them to be able to use my quota.

I hope that someone will listen to my request :/
Thanks for your help,
Giordano
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
@Giordano
You still don't understand - if I have no own collection at Google Photos, but only have a Gmail-account for using Gmail and documents on Drive, I perfectly can upload into your album without using any byte at Google - but technically that only is possible from computer - not in the app on mobiles because you can't reach your local folders. 
So that is not possible for your mobile friends and thereby I would suggest another method for them: they just can use free Wetransfer for sending you a couple of files and then you can add them yourself to your album. If you don't need their comments in your album, you can switch-off collaboration and liking.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
@Rinus: Can you please explain step-by-step what you are talking about? What is the procedure to follow?
I have no idea what is "without using any byte at Google", and would be happy to understand you.
What I know is:
1. You need a Google Account to upload to Google Photos
2. If I share an album with a link, then another person can upload ONLY if he/she is logged in
3. When the person uploads (on PC), he/she uses up his quota. At the present moment, this is only for "Original" quality, but from June 1st it will be also for any kind of quality.
4. This is clear also because when I open the shared album, I have the option to "save" to my account the photo uploaded by someone else
5. I tried sharing an album to a (business) Google Account that has Google Photos disabled (by admins) and it's impossible to upload photos.
6. The same behaviour is observed when sharing a folder of Google Drive: you can upload only if you have a Google Account. Whatever you upload, it will count against your own storage quota.

The "only PC"-issue is easily solved by using a mobile browser (such as Chrome) which has the option to "show desktop site".
I tried WeTransfer, and it works perfectly on Android, but on iPhone the photos get wiped of datetime/GPS, shuffled, and renamed -> not usable.

Thanks for your help,
Giordano
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
There is not much to explain Giordano, but I must have a Gmail-account just because of having an Android for phoning and epping the whole day :-)

But for being allowed to upload into your account, I need to be able to log-in with that account and then I can store a lot of fat files in your album. So you are "paying" and it is your quality setting which determines the speed of your counter at Google. And if you delete the album, my pictures are gone forever unless you have saved them in your own stream before deleting. 

I know that I also can use the Chrome-browser on my Android to open the link of your album for viewing only. But as soon as i hit the + I need to log-in and then I can search for some local files - but that is not quite easy for many. But then I can mimic the situation on my computer indeed. 
That's all. 

PS: did not expect that the iPhone would murder the files send via Wetransfer, but in general an iPhone is by far not as good for file-operations as many think. 

marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
So you are suggesting me to give to all my friends the password of my Google Account and let them login from their devices, in order to upload their photos.
I'm sure this is not a good way of doing things :(

Thanks for the proposal anyway...
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I am not suggesting that at all - how dare you to think that :-)

But the problem is that most of your friends don't use a computer at all, but are on phone merely.
And then they can't prevent to upload in their own account first before they can add to your album. 

marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
@Andi 
Just tested and you are right indeed, but this seems rather new and incorrect behavior to me. 
Maybe related to the new rules after June 1. 
Sorry for the confusion. 
marked this as an answer
This question is locked and replying has been disabled.
Discard post? You will lose what you have written so far.
Write a reply
10 characters required
Failed to attach file, click here to try again.
Discard post?
You will lose what you have written so far.
Personal information found

We found the following personal information in your message:

This information will be visible to anyone who visits or subscribes to notifications for this post. Are you sure you want to continue?

A problem occurred. Please try again.
Create Reply
Edit Reply
Delete post?
This will remove the reply from the Answers section.
Notifications are off
Your notifications are currently off and you won't receive subscription updates. To turn them on, go to Notifications preferences on your Profile page.
Report abuse
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
What type of post are you reporting?
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
This reply is no longer available.
/photos/threads
//accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin
You'll receive email notifications for new posts at
Unable to delete question.
Unable to update vote.
Unable to update subscription.
You have been unsubscribed
Deleted
Unable to delete reply.
Removed from Answers
Removed from Updates
Marked as Recommended Answer
Marked as Update
Removed recommendation
Undo
Unable to update reply.
Unable to update vote.
Thank you. Your response was recorded.
Unable to undo vote.
Thank you. This reply will now display in the answers section.
Link copied
Unlocked
Unable to lock
Unable to unlock
Pinned
Unpinned
Unable to pin
Unable to unpin
Marked
Unmarked
Unable to mark
Reported as off topic