Reduce the size of your photos & videos
To clear space in your Google Drive, try converting your backed up photos and videos to High quality, which is a reduced size.
- Using a computer, go to photos.google.com/settings.
- Click RECOVER STORAGE.
Frequently asked questionsWhat's the difference between Original & High quality?
- Unlimited free storage.
- Regular cameras: Recommended for phones or point-and-shoot cameras that are 16 megapixels (MP) or less.
- Uses: Good for typical printing and sharing.
- Size: Saves high-quality photos and videos while reducing size.
- Limited free storage: Uses storage in your Google Account, regardless of photo or video size.
- DSLR cameras: Recommended if you take photos with a DSLR camera and want to maintain the exact original quality.
- Uses: Recommended for printing large banners or to store original files.
- Size: Stores your photos and videos exactly as you captured them.
Learn more about choosing a storage size.
- If your camera takes photos with 16 megapixels (MP) resolution or lower, most stored photos will essentially look the same using either Original or High quality storage.
- If your camera takes photos with a resolution higher than 16 MP, then photos will be downsized to 16 MP.
Photos and videos you've uploaded using Google Drive will not be converted to High quality.
Photos and videos you've uploaded to the following Google products will be converted to High quality:
- Google Maps
- Google Photos
- Picasa Web Albums
- YouTube Web Channel Art