Choose the upload size of your photos and videos
You can change the quality of your photos and videos to fit your preferences, or to free up your storage space.
Learn about your backup options
- Unlimited free storage.
- Photos are compressed to save space. If a photo is larger than 16 MP, it will be resized to 16 MP.
- You can print good quality 16 MP photos in sizes up to 24 inches x 16 inches.
- Videos higher than 1080p will be resized to high-definition 1080p. A video with 1080p or less will look close to the original. Some information, such as closed captions, might be lost.
- Limited free storage that uses storage in your Google Account. Check your storage here. If you go over this limit, learn how to buy storage.
- All photos and videos are stored in the same resolution that you took them.
- Recommended for photos that have more than 16 MP and videos with more than 1080p.
- Recommended for printing large banners
- If you have a Pixel, you receive unlimited free storage at original quality for photos and videos taken and uploaded from your phone. You won't be able to use High quality.
- If you have the Pixel 2 or Pixel 3, you receive unlimited free storage at original quality for photos and videos taken and uploaded from your phone before your offer period ends.
- Pixel 2 offer ends 16 Jan 2021.
- Pixel 3 offer ends 31 Jan 2022.
After an offer period ends, new photos will be uploaded at high quality for free. If you upload new photos at original quality, it will count against your storage. Photos uploaded before the offer period ends will remain free at original quality.
- Faster backup over Wi-Fi and mobile data.
- Unlimited free storage.
- Photos may be compressed to use less mobile data. If a photo is larger than 3 MP, it will be resized to 3 MP.
- You can print good-quality 3 MP photos in sizes up to 24 inches x 16 inches.
- Videos higher than 480p will be resized to standard definition 480p. A video with 480p or less will look close to the original. Some information, such as closed captions, might be lost.
Change your upload size
- On your computer, open photos.google.com/settings.
- Select high quality or original quality for future uploads.
If you use Backup and sync for Photos, learn how to change the upload size.
If you have photos in Original quality and want to save some space, change the photos and videos that you have already backed up to High quality. This setting will not appear if you don’t have any photos in Original quality.
- On a computer, go to photos.google.com/settings.
- Click Recover storage. This will not change the quality of your future uploads.
Note: You can only recover storage once a day.
Photos or videos will not be changed to high quality if you’ve uploaded them using:
- Google Drive
- Your Pixel
- Your Pixel 2 or 3 during your original quality offer period
But it will change any photos or videos that you’ve uploaded on:
- Google Maps
- Google Photos
- Picasa Web Albums
- YouTube Web Channel Art