How Google Photos works with Google Drive
You can see and edit photos and videos from Google Drive in Google Photos.
Sync photos and videos
- On your Android device, open the Google Photos app .
- At the top, tap Menu Settings.
- Turn on Google Drive. If you have a work or school-related account, you won’t be able to turn this on.
What happens when you change or delete a photo
- If you edit photos in Google Photos, changes won’t show in Google Drive.
- When you delete a photo from Google Photos, it’ll also get deleted from Google Drive.
- If you delete a photo from Google Drive, it’ll also get deleted from Google Photos.
- If you delete from the Google Photos folder in My Drive:
- If you delete individual photos or videos, they will be removed from Google Photos.
- If you delete folders (including the Google Photos folder), photos and videos won’t be deleted in Google Photos. This is to avoid deleting all your photos and videos by accident.
- If you move photos from the Google Photos folder to a different folder and delete them from there, they’ll also be deleted in Google Photos.
Check your storage
- If you upload photos directly to Google Drive, they will count against your storage quota.
- If you upload using Google Photos or Backup and sync, it will count against your storage quota if you upload in original quality. Learn how to change your upload size.