If you get the 'Device storage almost full' card, you can use Google Photos to delete backed-up photos to save space on your phone. If you remove copies of your photos and videos on your phone, you can make more storage space for items such as apps and music.
Before you start
Download and install the Google Photos app.
Photos and videos that are less than 30 days old may be retained on your device. They’ll still be backed up in your Google Photos library.
Free up space on your Android device
- On your Android phone or tablet, open the Google Photos app .
- Sign in to your Google Account.
- Tap your account profile photo or initial Photos settings Free up device storage.
- You'll see how much space will be freed up. To delete all the items from your phone, tap Free up.
- To see your photos and videos, go to photos.google.com or open the Google Photos app .
What happens when you remove photos and videos from your phone
If you remove copies of photos and videos on your phone, you'll still be able to:
- See your photos and videos, including the ones that you've just removed, in the Google Photos app and photos.google.com.
- Edit, share, delete and manage anything in your Google Photos library.
You won't be able to see photos and videos that you've removed if:
- You use your mobile device's built-in gallery.
- You're offline.
- You're not signed in to the Google Photos app .