You can use Google Photos to save space on your phone when you remove photos from your device that are safely backed up.
Before you start
Download and install the Google Photos app.
Photos and videos older than 30 days can be deleted, but they'll still be backed up in your Google Photos library.
Free up space on your iPhone or iPad
- On your iPhone or iPad, open the Google Photos app .
- Sign in to your Google Account.
- Tap your account profile photo or initial Photos settings Manage device settings Free up space.
- When you're asked for permission to delete photos, tap Delete.
- Open the iPhone or iPad Photos app (not the Google Photos app).
- Tap Recently Deleted and delete those same photos and videos.
- To see your photos and videos, including ones that you deleted from your iPhone or iPad, open the Google Photos app .
What happens when you remove photos and videos from your phone
If you remove copies of photos and videos on your phone, you'll still be able to:
- See your photos and videos, including the ones that you've just removed, in the Google Photos app and photos.google.com.
- Edit, share, delete and manage anything in your Google Photos library.
You won't be able to see photos and videos that you've removed if:
- You use your mobile device's built-in gallery.
- You're offline.
- You're not signed in to the Google Photos app .