If you get the 'Device storage almost full' card, you can use Google Photos to delete backed-up photos to save space on your phone. If you remove copies of your photos and videos on your phone, you can make more storage space for items such as apps and music.
Photos and videos older than 30 days can be deleted, but they'll still be backed up in your Google Photos library.
Before you start
Download and install the Google Photos app.
Free up space on your iPhone or iPad
- On your iPhone or iPad, open the Google Photos app .
- Sign in to your Google Account.
- Tap Menu Free up space Remove.
- When you're asked for permission to delete photos, tap Delete.
- Open the iPhone or iPad Photos app (not the Google Photos app).
- Tap Recently Deleted and delete those same photos and videos.
- To see your photos and videos, including those you deleted from your iPhone or iPad, open the Google Photos app .
What happens when you remove photos and videos from your phone
If you remove copies of photos and videos on your phone, you'll still be able to:
- See your photos and videos, including the ones that you've just removed, in the Google Photos app and photos.google.com.
- Edit, share, delete and manage anything in your Google Photos library.
You won't be able to see photos and videos that you've removed if:
- You use your mobile device's built-in gallery.
- You're offline.
- You're not signed in to the Google Photos app .