You can make phone calls from the Phone app and other apps or widgets that show your contacts.
Wherever you see a phone number, you can usually tap it to dial. You may be able to tap underlined phone numbers in Google Chrome to copy the number to the dialpad.
If you don't have the Phone app, download it from the Play Store.
- If you're unable to download the Phone app, your device might not be supported.
- Once you've downloaded the app, follow the prompts to set it as the default phone app.
Make a phone call
- Open your phone's Phone app .
- Pick who to call:
- To enter a number, tap Dialpad .
- To pick a saved contact, tap Contacts . We may show you suggested contacts to call based on your call history.
- To pick from numbers you’ve recently called, tap Recents .
- To pick from contacts saved to Favorites, tap Favorites .
- Tap Call .
- When you’re done with the call, tap End call . If your call is minimized, drag the call bubble to the bottom right of the screen.
When you get a call, the caller’s number, contact name, or caller ID info shows on screen. When Google can verify a phone number, above the caller's name or number, you'll see Verified.
- To answer the call, swipe the white circle to the top of the screen when your phone is locked, or tap Answer.
- To reject the call, swipe the white circle to the bottom of the screen when your phone is locked, or tap Dismiss. Rejected callers can leave a message.
- To reject the call and send a text message to the caller, swipe up from the Message icon .
- If you answer a call while on another one, you place your current call on hold.
- If Google Assistant is on, you can answer or decline a call with your voice. You can say:
- "Hey Google, answer the call."
- "Hey Google, reject the call."
- To bring up the keypad, tap Dialpad .
- To switch among the earpiece, speakerphone, or any connected Bluetooth headset, tap Speaker .
- To mute or un-mute your microphone, tap Mute .
- To pause a conversation without hanging up, tap Hold . To pick up the call again, tap Hold again.
Tip: This function is only available for customers who subscribe to the catch phone service option. Otherwise, you'll find an error message on the screen.
- To switch between current calls, tap Switch . Others are put on hold.
- To merge current calls into one conference call, tap Call merge .
- To minimize the call, go to the Home screen. Learn how to get around on your phone.
- To move the call bubble, drag it.
- To hide the call bubble, drag it down to "Hide" at the bottom of the screen.
- With some carriers and devices, to:
- Switch to a video call: Tap Video call .
- Transfer an active call to another number:
- In an active call, tap Add Call .
- Enter a phone number.
- Tap Call .
- After the call connects, tap Transfer . Your call transfers to the number you entered in step 2.