Make & receive phone calls
You can make phone calls from these apps:
- Phone app
- Contacts app
- Other apps or widgets that show your contacts
Wherever you see a phone number, you can usually tap it to dial. You may be able to tap underlined phone numbers in Google Chrome to copy the number to the dialpad.
Make a phone call
- Open your device's Phone app .
- Pick who to call:
- To enter a number, tap Dialpad .
- To pick a saved contact, tap Contacts .
- To pick from numbers you’ve recently called, tap Recents .
- To pick from contacts saved to speed dial, tap Speed dial .
- Tap Call .
- When you’re done with the call, tap End call . If your call is minimized, drag the call bubble to the bottom right of the screen.
With some carriers and devices, you can also make video calls. Learn how to make video calls.
When you get a phone call, you’ll see the caller’s number, if it’s available. You may also see contact or caller ID information.
- To answer the call, swipe the white circle to the top of the screen when your phone is locked, or tap Answer.
- To reject the call, swipe the white circle to the bottom of the screen when your phone is locked, or tap Dismiss.
- To reject the call and send a text message to the caller, swipe up from the Message icon .
If you’ve set up a voice mailbox, rejected callers can leave a message. Answering a call while on another call puts the current call on hold.
Use phone call options
While a call is open:
- To bring up the keypad, tap Dialpad .
- To switch among the earpiece, speakerphone, or any connected Bluetooth headset, tap Speaker .
- To mute or un-mute your microphone, tap Mute .
- To pause a conversation without hanging up, tap Hold . To pick up the call again, tap Hold again.
- To switch between current calls, tap Switch . Others are put on hold.
- To merge current calls into one conference call, tap Call merge .
- To minimize the call, tap Home .
- To move the call bubble, drag it.
- To hide the call bubble, drag it down to "Hide" at the bottom of the screen.
With some carriers and devices, you can also switch to a video call. Tap Video call .