When you use Google Pay, things you do and keep (like transactions, your forms of payment, transit, and loyalty cards) are saved in your Google Account. You control how this data is used, and you can change what is kept and manage your privacy settings at any time.
How Google Pay privacy settings work
Personalization within Google Pay
You can use Google Pay to get things like offers from stores where you shop and recommendations for ways to save if you turn on the “Personalization within Google Pay” setting.
When this setting is on:
- Things you do and keep (like transactions, your forms of payment, transit, and loyalty cards) will be used to personalize your Google Pay experience.
- Additional info (like the location where you made a purchase) will also be saved and used to personalize your Google Pay experience.
When this setting is off:
- Google Pay still works. For example, you’ll be able to make contactless payments, but the offers you see might be less relevant.
- Things you do and keep will still be saved to provide the service, but they won’t be used for personalization within Google Pay.
How we protect your data
- We do not sell your information to anyone: Google Pay will never sell your transaction history to third parties or share it with the rest of Google for targeting ads.
- We require you to unlock the app for each use: For your security, you need to set up a screen lock on your phone to use the Google Pay app. Whenever the Google Pay app is opened, you’ll need to unlock your screen before it can be used.
- We secure your Google Account to help block unauthorized access to your data: Your Google Account comes with built-in security designed to detect and block threats like spam, malware, and viruses. With this built-in security, the Google Pay data that’s stored in your Google Account is better protected from unauthorized access.
Manage & delete your Google Pay data
Manage your data & personalization settings
- On your phone, open the Google Pay app.
- In the top right, tap the account circle Settings.
- Within Settings, tap Privacy & security Data & personalization.
Delete payments transactions & other activity
- On your phone or tablet, go to account.google.com
- At the top, on the navigation bar, scroll left.
- Select Payments & subscriptions Manage your Google Pay experience.
- On this page, you can delete the activity you no longer want.
- To delete certain items: Next to the item, select MoreDelete.
- To delete all items on a certain date: Next to the date, select Delete .
- To delete all items: Tap Delete All time.