Android version updates & feedback
Check Android version number
If you're not sure which version of Android your device is running, you can check on your mobile device:
- Open Settings .
- Under "System," touch About phone or About tablet > Android version.
- The number displayed is your device's Android version number.
Get Android software updates
You'll receive a notification on your device when you have a software update available. Once you receive it, just swipe down from the top of any screen to open the notification and touch Download to start the update.
If you haven't received a notification and want to check if there's an update available for your device:
- Open Settings .
- Under "System," touch About phone or About tablet > System updates.
- Touch Check for update to see if you have an update waiting. Or touch Download if there's one already available.
Note: If you're updating from KitKat to Lollipop, it's normal for the system update to take up to 20 minutes. We recommend charging your device and connecting to a wireless network during system updates.
Having issues updating to the latest version of Android? Try these troubleshooting steps:Troubleshooting steps for "insufficient storage available"
If you see a message saying that your device has insufficient storage available, you need to clear some space on your device to update to the latest version of Android. You can clear the cached data for apps on your device to free up storage space. This won't delete any personal information that you have stored on your device.
To clear your apps' cached data, follow these steps:
- Open your device's Settings menu .
- Under "Device," touch Storage > Cached data.
- When asked if you want to clear cached data, touch OK.
If you still don't have enough storage space on your device after clearing your cached data, you can uninstall apps that you don't use or delete downloaded files to free up additional space. Find out how to optimise memory usage on your device.
Timing for software updatesNexus devices
Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 6, Nexus 7, Nexus 9 and Nexus 10 devices receive the latest version of Android directly from Google. Once an update is available, it can take up to two weeks for it to reach your device. Based on your operator, it may take longer than two weeks after release to get an update.
Nexus devices may not receive the latest version of Android if they fall outside of the update window, which is usually around 18 months after a device has been released.
Android One devices receive the latest version of Android directly from Google. When a new update is released, it can take up to two weeks to reach your device. You'll see a message on your device that says "System update available" when the update is ready to be installed on your device.
Devices may not receive the latest version of Android if they fall outside of the update window, traditionally around 18 months after a device release.
Depending on your mobile service provider, you may be able to receive Android updates without using any of your plan's data. Check with your mobile operator for details.
Updates to Google Play edition devices are managed by the device manufacturers, not by Google. Google works closely with the manufacturers to provide system updates shortly after a new version is released. Once an update is available, it can take up to two weeks for it to reach your device. Based on your operator, it may take longer than two weeks after release to get an update.
Google Play edition devices may not receive the latest version of Android if they fall outside of the update window, which is usually around 18 months after a device has been released.
Send feedback about your device to Google
You can easily send feedback about your device to Google from the Settings menu. This information is used to improve Google's products and services for everyone.To send feedback from your device, follow these steps
- On your mobile device, open Settings .
- Under "System," touch About phone or About tablet > Send feedback about this device.
- Type your feedback in the message.
- If you want to include your system logs in the report, tick the box next to "Include system logs." These logs are helpful to Google if you're reporting a technical issue.
- Touch send . Your message, system information and email address (if you're logged into your account) will be sent to Google.
Elena is an Android expert and author of this help page. Leave her feedback below about the page.