Set screen lock
Depending how you use your device, you may want to set some form of automatic screen lock to prevent unauthorized access. If a lock has been set, the screen locks when your device's display goes to sleep.
To adjust your lock settings:
- Go to Settings > Personal > Security > Screen lock.
- Touch the type of lock you want and follow the onscreen instructions.
If you'e previously set a lock, you must enter the pattern, PIN, or password to unlock the lock settings.
You can choose among these lock options, listed in approximate order of strength:
- Slide provides no protection, but lets you get to the Home screen or Google Now quickly.
- Face Unlock lets you unlock your device by looking at it. This is the least secure lock option.
- Pattern lets you draw a simple pattern with your finger to unlock the device.
- PIN requires four or more numbers. Longer PINs tend to be more secure.
- Password requires four or more letters or numbers. This is the most secure option, as long as you create a strong password.
Password tips: For best security, specify a password that
- Is at least 8 characters long.
- Contains a mixture of numbers, letters, and special symbols
- Doesn't contain any recognizable words or phrases.
To change when your device goes to sleep, touch Settings > Device > Display > Sleep.
To see your passwords when you input them, touch Settings > Personal > Security > Make passwords visible.