Set screen lock
You can help secure your phone or tablet by setting a screen lock. Each time you turn on your device or wake up the screen, you’ll be asked to unlock your device, usually with a PIN, pattern, or password.
On some devices, you can also unlock with your fingerprint or automatically unlock in trusted conditions.
Note: Android isn't the same on all devices. These instructions are for devices running Android 7.0 and up. Learn how to check your Android version.
Set up or change a screen lock
- Open your device's Settings app .
- Under "Personal," tap Security.
- To change your screen lock's settings, next to "Screen lock," tap Settings . Settings include automatic lock timing, Power button locking, and a lock screen message. Learn how to put information on your lock screen.
- To choose a kind of screen lock, tap Screen lock.
- If you’ve already set a lock, you’ll need to enter your PIN, pattern, or password before you can choose a different lock.
- Tap the screen lock option you’d like to use and follow the on-screen instructions.
Screen lock options
If you don't want a lock screen, pick "None." This option gives no protection, but lets you get to your Home screen quickly.
"Swipe" lets you swipe your finger across your screen to unlock your device. This option gives no protection, but lets you get to your Home screen quickly.
"Pattern" lets you draw a simple pattern with your finger to unlock your device.
"PIN" requires 4 or more numbers. Longer PINs tend to be more secure.
"Password" requires 4 or more letters or numbers. This is the most secure option, as long as you create a strong password.
Other lock options
If your device has a fingerprint sensor, you can use your fingerprint to unlock your device. Learn how to unlock with your fingerprint.
- Automatic unlocking
You can set your device to automatically unlock in certain conditions, like when your device is at your home. Learn about Smart Lock for Android.
Amy is an Android expert and author of this help page. Leave her feedback below about the page.