Fix problems sending, receiving or connecting to Messages
If you can't send or receive messages, or have trouble connecting to Messages on web, try the following suggestions below.
Fix problems sending or receiving messages
- Make sure you have the most updated version of Messages.
- If you have a SIM card, ensure that it is inserted properly.
- If you’re on Fi, sign in to the Project Fi app.
- Verify that Messages is set as your default texting app. Learn how to change your default texting app.
- Make sure your carrier supports SMS, MMS, or RCS messaging.
- Check your plan or credit balance to see that you have enough to send/receive messages
- See if you have signal.
- Check if you’re on airplane mode. If you are, turn it off.
- If you’re switching from an iPhone, make sure you’ve deactivated iMessage for your number.
Fix problems sending or receiving messages from specific contacts
- Delete the contact and add it again.
- Check if you blocked them.
- Verify that their phone number is correct.
- Check if you need to specify a country code (e.g. +1 for US numbers).
Fix problems sending MMS messages
- Ensure that you have a data connection.
- In your device’s settings app, reset your APN settings to default.
Was this helpful?
How can we improve it?