Custom labels, custom label 0
[custom_label_0] through custom label 4
[custom_label_4], allow you to create specific filters to use in your Shopping campaigns. Use these filters for reporting and bidding on groups of products. The information you include in this attribute won't be shown to customers.
For example, you could label a group of products as seasonal, clearance or selling rate.
When to use
- Optional for each product
If you advertise your products through Shopping campaigns in Google Ads, use custom labels to group products for reporting and bidding.
The custom label attributes are numbered 0–4:
- Custom label 0
- Custom label 1
- Custom label 2
- Custom label 3
- Custom label 4
Follow these formatting guidelines to make sure that Google understands the data that you're submitting.
|Type||String (Unicode characters. Recommended: ASCII only), not case sensitive|
1-100 characters, up to 1000 unique values account-wide for each custom label attribute (up to 5000 labels total)
|Repeated field||No, but you can create up to five custom labels numbered custom label 0
|File format||Example value|
To format your data for Content API, have a look at the Content API for Shopping.
Follow these guidelines to make sure that you submit high quality data for your products.
These are the requirements that you'll need to meet to show your product. If you don't follow these requirements, we'll disapprove your product and let you know on the Diagnostics page of your Merchant Center account.
- Submit only one value for each custom label attribute.
- Create up to 1,000 unique labels for each custom label attribute across your account (up to 5,000 labels total; 1,000 labels per attribute). If you submit products with a custom label after you exceed the limit, those additional labels won't be taken into account for both reporting and bidding. Product group membership of products submitted with additional labels after the limit was exceeded will be evaluated as if the additional label wasn't set. To fix the issue, reduce the number of unique labels and then resubmit your product data.
- Use the custom label attributes for Shopping campaigns only. For Display with dynamic remarketing campaigns, use the product grouping label for Display ads
[ads_labels]and product grouping for Display ads
These best practices can help you go beyond the basic requirements to optimise your product data for performance.
- Create up to five custom labels for each product:
- Choose your own definition for each of the five custom labels. Keep in mind the possible values for each label. You can add the values to each product in your Merchant Center account based on your definition.
- Use feed rules to assign custom labels automatically based on values that you have already submitted in your product data. For example, if you want a custom label to represent different price ranges, you could set a rule that automatically applies a certain value to
custom_label_0 [custom_label_0]based on the price range. For example, you might use the following labels: 0–5, 5–10, 10–20, 20+. Learn more about feed rules
Set up your own definitions for custom labels and include only one type of label per attribute. This definition isn't something that you enter in Google Ads or Merchant Center, but it will help your own understanding of what values you should include.
|Example values||Winter, spring, summer, autumn|
|Your definition||Selling rate|
|Example values||Best seller, low seller|
|Your definition||Price ranges|
|Example values||0-5, 5-10, 10-20, 20+|
|Example values||Low margin, high margin|
|Your definition||Release year|
|Example values||1998, 2000, 2010, 2016|
For each product that you submit, you can include only one label (for example, 'summer') per attribute (for example, custom label 0
[custom_label_0]). However, if you want to include multiple labels, add the other custom label attributes.
Remember that each of these attributes is optional. So include a custom label only if it's helpful to you.
Product data for Google Malibu sunglasses
Custom label 0
Custom label 2
Custom label 4