[product_type]attribute to include your own product categorisation system in your product data. Unlike the Google product category
[google_product_category]attribute, which uses a collection of predefined categories, you choose which value to include for the product type. The values that you submit can be used to organise the bidding and reporting in your Google Ads Shopping campaign.
When to use
- Optional for each product
Follow these formatting guidelines to make sure that Google understands the data that you're submitting.
String (Unicode characters. Recommended: ASCII only)
|Repeated field||Submit up to five times, but bear in mind that only the first value will be used to organise bidding and reporting in Google Ads Shopping campaigns. Separate multiple different product types with a comma (
|File format||Example value|
To format your data for Content API, have a look at the Content API for Shopping.
Follow these guidelines to make sure that you submit high quality data for your products.
These are the requirements that you'll need to meet to show your product. If you don't follow these requirements, we'll disapprove your product and let you know on the Diagnostics page of your Merchant Center account.
- Provide a date up to one year in the future.
These best practices can help you go beyond the basic requirements to optimise your product data for performance.
>to separate multiple levels in a category. Also, include a space before and after the > symbol. For example: Home > Women > Dresses > Maxi dresses.
- Submit this attribute for products used in any campaign type. When you submit a product type, we can better understand what you're selling, and when we understand what you're selling, we can help connect users with your products. Plus, you can also use the values that you submit to organise your Shopping campaign by values of your own choosing.
- If you use product type to organise your bidding and reporting in Google Ads, we recommend that you submit only one value. (If you submit more than one value, only the first value will be used.) Learn about managing your product groups with product type
- If your own product categorisation includes multiple levels, include all the levels. For example, if your products belong in 'Maxi dresses', list the full string: Home > Women > Dresses > Maxi dresses.
- Use the full 'breadcrumb' information. Wherever possible, we recommend that you include more granular categories as it classifies your product more precisely. For example, 'Books > Non-fiction > Sports > Baseball' is better than 'Baseball'. Learn more about using product type to organise your Shopping campaigns
- It's OK to provide the same value for the Google product category
[google_product_category]attribute and the product type
[product_type]attribute, but that value must be a supported Google product category.
|Product data for a maxi dress|
||Home > Women > Dresses > Maxi dresses|
|Product data for a Google Pixel 3|
||Product > Mobile phones > Android|
|Product data for an SLR camera lens|
||Home > Photography > Lenses > SLR lenses|