You can record video meetings with these Google Workspace editions:
- Business Standard
- Business Plus
- Enterprise Essentials
- Enterprise Standard
- Enterprise Plus
- Education Standard (Available to users with a "staff" and "student" license)
- Education Fundamentals (Available to users with a "staff" and "student" license)
- Education Plus (Available to users with a "staff" and "student" license)
- Teaching and Learning Upgrade (Available to users with a “Teaching and Learning Upgrade” license)
- Workspace Individual Subscriber
To record a meeting, a Google Workspace administrator must turn on recording for your account.
You can record if:
- You’re the meeting organizer
- You’re in the same organization as the organizer
Google Workspace for Education accounts:
Recordings include the active speaker and anything that’s presented. Recordings are saved to the organizer’s Meet Recordings folder in My Drive. An email with the recording link is sent to the meeting organizer and the person who started the recording. The link is added to the Calendar event.
Other windows or notifications are not included. Pinning a participant won’t affect who is shown in the recording.
These people get notified when a recording starts or stops, but can’t control the recording:
- People outside of your organization
- Mobile app users
- People who dial in using a phone
If a participant turns on live captions during recording, the captions won't be recorded and don't open when you play the recording.
Which part of a Meet chat is recorded?
Chats are recorded for the duration of the video.
Where is a Meet chat saved?
Chats are saved as an .SBV file in the meeting organizer's Drive.
How do I play a transcript?
Transcript playback capabilities depend on the media player you use. Chat contents are displayed as subtitles when files are downloaded in a media player such as VLC.
Recording meetings is useful when you want to review the meeting later, or share it with people who couldn’t attend. For example:
- Team presentations available on-demand for students and new employees
- Conference presentations that you want to share with people later
- Virtual training sessions that people can replay on-demand
- Start or Join a meeting.
- At the bottom right, click Activities Recording.
- Click Start recording.
- In the window that appears, click Start.
- Wait for the recording to start. Other participants are notified when the recording starts or stops.
- When you finish, click Activities Recording Stop Recording.
- In the window that appears, click Stop recording.
- Tip: The recording also stops when everyone leaves the meeting.
The recording is saved to the meeting organizer’s My Drive > Meet Recordings folder. An email with the recording link is sent to the meeting organizer, and the person who started the recording.
To share a recording:
- Select the file Share .
- Or, click Link paste the link in an email or chat message.
For best results, download the recording and then play it from your computer:
- Select the file and click More Download .
- Double-click the downloaded file to play it.
- In Drive, double-click the recording to play it. “Still processing” appears until the file is ready for online viewing.
To add a recording to My Drive, select the file and click Add to My Drive .
- In the email, click the link and wait for the recording to open.
- Select an option:
- To play the recording, click Play .
- To share the recording, click More Share. Enter usernames or email addresses and click Done.
To download the file, click Download
To add the recording to the current folder, click Add to My Drive .