Important: This article is about legacy calling in Google Meet (previously known as Duo). Learn more about Meet calling and meeting offerings.
- For Enterprise & EDU: Learn how to make Meet calls.
- For meetings: Learn how to start or schedule a Google Meet video meeting.
To use Meet legacy calling (previously known as Duo), you must add an account or phone number.
- If you only add your account but no phone number: You can make and receive legacy calls through your email but won’t be reachable through your phone number.
- If you only add your phone number but no account: You can make and receive legacy calls or join meetings as a guest, but can't create or schedule meetings.
- People who know your phone number can reach you across Google services. You can manage phone numbers associated with your Google Account in your Google Account settings.
- For Business and EDU users:
- Your admin controls legacy calling functionality. Learn how admins manage access to services.
- EDU users under age 18 don't have access to calling functionality.
Open Meet on Web
Important: Google Meet is only available on these browsers:
- Google Chrome
- Microsoft Edge
The Duo name and icon has been updated to Google Meet .
Verify your phone number
- Users with personal accounts can skip adding a phone number and still make and receive calls.
- Users with workspace accounts are required to add and verify a phone number in order to make and receive calls.
To verify a phone number:
- Go to meet.google.com/calling/.
- Click Add number.
- Enter your phone number.
- Click Get verification code.
- If the number you entered is associated with a Google Account, it is automatically verified.
- If not, Google Meet sends a code in a one-time SMS message to the number. (Carrier text-message rates may apply.)
- Enter the code you received in the text message.
- If you don't receive a text message, check that you entered your phone number correctly and click Resend SMS.
- If you have a cell connection but don’t get the SMS, click Call me.
- If you continue to have problems, visit the verification troubleshooting article.
After you verify your number on Meet
- People with your phone number can use the Meet app to call you. If you connect your Google Account, they can also connect with you across Google services.
- Meet can periodically send your contacts and location to Google.
- If you call someone not saved in your contacts, Meet displays your phone number so they are aware who’s calling.