Important: This article is only for Google Maps built into your car. Feature availability or functionality may depend on your car manufacturer or region. Learn how to use Assistant on other platforms.
You can find info and get things done with your Google Assistant while you drive. Ask it questions and tell it to do things in Google Maps so you can focus on the road.
Tip: This feature isn't available in all languages and countries/regions.
Talk to your Google Assistant
- On your car's home screen, open the Google Maps app .
- Navigate to a place, or say, "Ok Google, navigate home".
- In navigation mode, say “Ok Google” or tap the Assistant microphone .
- Ask the Google Assistant to help with something.
Tip: Check your car’s user manual to find how to enable Assistant using the buttons on your steering wheel or in your car.
What you can ask your Google Assistant
Travel and nearby places
- "What road is this?"
- “When does [name of place] close?”
- "Show route overview" or "Show alternate routes"
- "Restaurants nearby"
Directions and navigation
- "What’s my next turn?" or “Next step”
- “How long until I get there?”
- "How's traffic ahead?" or "How's traffic to home?"
- "Show traffic" or "Hide traffic"
- "Show satellite view" or "Hide satellite view"
- "Avoid tolls" or "Allow tolls"
- "Mute voice guidance” or “Unmute voice guidance”
- “Show list of directions”
- "Avoid highways" or "Allow highways"
- “What’s my destination?” or “How far is my destination?”
- "Exit navigation"
- “Where am I?”
- “Are we there yet?”
You can also ask the Google Assistant for info and help with everyday tasks. Learn what else you can ask.