Google Maps offers two types of views for walking navigation: the usual 2D map and Live View. With Live View you will be able to see directions placed in the real world as well as a small mini map at the bottom of your screen.
Get started with Live View
- On your Android phone or tablet, open the Google Maps app .
- In the search bar, enter a destination or tap it on the map.
- Tap Directions .
- Above the map in the travel mode toolbar, tap Walking .
- In the bottom center, tap Live View .
- Follow the on-screen instructions to help Maps locate where you are.
Tip: Point your phone camera at buildings and signs across the street instead of trees and people.
- Once Maps knows where you are, you’ll see directions through the camera view on your screen.
Tip: For safety and battery, we suggest you put your phone away once you know where to go.
- Your phone will vibrate upon reaching the next navigation step or destination.
- When you want to return to Live View, simply tilt your phone to a vertical position or press the Live View button.
- Tap Feedback .
- Answer the question about the type of issue encountered.
- Enter your feedback.
You'll find Live View if you're in an area already covered by Street View.
You can use Live View with your Android's accessibility features, such as TalkBack screen reader.
When you try Live View for the first time, a message will pop up on your phone asking for permission to access your camera.
How to know if Live View is working
When you've tapped Live View , a message will pop up on your screen. The message will tell you to point your phone camera at buildings, street signs, or any element of scenery around you that Google Maps can recognize against Street View data in this area. Once Google Maps has recognized where you are, it will display the navigation instructions on your phone screen.
If Live View still isn't working
Make sure that you use Live View:
- In well-lit areas
- When pointing your phone camera at buildings and signs across the street
- In locations where Street View is available
Switch to the usual 2D map view
You can alternate between Live View and the 2D map view by moving your phone from the vertical to the horizontal position. The tilt feature is turned on by default but you can follow these steps to modify the setting:
- In the top right, tap your profile picture or initial Settings Navigation settings.
- Under "Walking options," turn off Live view .
- Turn off the tilt option.
Avoid walking for long periods with Live View
We recommend that you use Live View only during moments of confusion, such as when you start your journey, when you reach a turn, or when you're about to reach your destination.
Important: For your safety, keep your phone down when you know where to go.