Use a lighter version of the Google Maps app
Google Maps Go is pre-installed on Android Oreo (Go edition) devices. It is also available on the Play Store. Google Maps Go is separate from the Google Maps app. It’s designed to run quickly and smoothly on devices with limited memory.
Things you can’t do in Google Maps Go
Some Maps features are not supported in Google Maps Go. When you use Google Maps Go, you can’t:
- Get turn-by-turn GPS navigation
- Share your real-time location
- Download areas and navigate offline
- Add reviews, ratings, and photos
- Report data problems
- Edit info about a place
- Set home and work addresses
- Measure the distance between places
- Add private labels to places
Download Google Maps Go
To add Google Maps Go to your phone, download it from the Play Store.
Look up info about a place
Search for a place
Look for a place or type of place, or see recent searches. Your search results appear on the map as either red dots or red mini pins. The mini pins show top results, with the symbols describing the place.
- Open Google Maps Go .
- At the top, tap the search box and type an address or name of a place. Or search for a category, like gas stations or restaurants.
- To remove the search results, at the top, tap Clear .
Get more info about a place
To learn more about a place:
- Search for a location, or tap a place icon on the map.
- At the bottom, tap the name of the place.
You’ll see information about the place. This includes details like the address, hours of operation, phone number, and ratings or reviews.
You can see estimated travel times and directions to places you might go next.
Note: To navigate to a place, use the Google Maps app.
- Search for the place you want to go. Note: Be sure to use the correct spelling.
- Tap Directions .
- Choose one of the following:
- To avoid ferries, tolls, and highways, below the direction choices, tap Options .
- To see different routes, tap the gray paths you see.
Get directions for different times
When you look up directions, choose when to leave or when to arrive.
- Tap Directions .
- Choose a destination.
- At the top, below the direction choices, tap Leave now .
- Choose a time and follow the instructions.
Note: Not all cities have public transit directions in Google Maps Go. See which cities are covered.
See what’s nearby
Here are some more things you can do in Google Maps Go.
Note: Not all features are available in all regions.
Explore the map
On your phone or tablet, tap a place to learn more. You can also touch and hold anywhere on the map for details about that location.
- Look for a specific landmark or address: At the top, tap Search .
- Move around: Use one finger to tap and drag the screen.
- Zoom in and out: Pinch the screen with two fingers.
- See your current location: You’ll see a blue dot that shows where you are. If you don’t see a blue dot, go to the bottom right and tap Your location .
You can check details about travel routes, traffic, or the landscape. You can also see satellite images.
Tap Menu tap an option from the list.
You can look at some Google Maps Go places up close. See if the photos open in Street View .
Solve a problem or send us feedback
Why am I seeing a notification from Google Chrome?
Google Maps Go needs Chrome to work on your device. If you’re signed in to Chrome, you’ll automatically be signed in to Google Maps Go.
What does "No internet connection" mean?
Your device isn’t linked to Wi-Fi or a data signal. Try to reconnect, or move to an area with a stronger connection.
Why am I seeing the address bar at the top of my app?
Check that you updated to the latest version of Google Chrome. Then, reopen Google Maps Go.
How do I delete my search history?
Go to your Personal info and privacy page.
You can tell us about issues you noticed, or what you like or dislike about Google Maps Go. Tap Menu Send feedback.
Note: To report a data problem, use the Google Maps app.