Change your username
Change the name people see on messages and Google Chat
You can change the name that's linked to your email address, but not the address itself.Old:
- Open Gmail on a computer.
- Click the gear in the top right .
- Select Settings.
- Click the Accounts tab.
- In the “Send mail as:” section, locate the email address you'd like to edit.
- Click edit info next to the address.
- In the “Name:” section, specify what you’d like your name to be and click Save changes.
Add or remove dots from usernameIf you'd like to use a version of your username with fewer or more dots (.), you don't have to change a thing. If your username is 'email@example.com,' messages sent to 'firstname.lastname@example.org' and 'email@example.com' are already delivered to your Inbox. Learn more about dots.
Change email address
If you want to do something like change your email address from firstname.lastname@example.org to email@example.com, you’ll need to sign up for a new address.
After signing up for a new address, you can transfer everything from your old address to make the transition easier.How do I transfer my messages?
Vivian is a Gmail expert and the author of this help page. Leave her feedback about this help page.