Clear Google Drive space & increase storage
Your storage is shared across Google Drive, Gmail and Google Photos.
To see how much space you have left, on a computer, go to google.com/settings/storage .
Important: When your account reaches its storage limit, you can’t send or receive emails.
Clear space in Google Drive, Gmail and Google Photos to make room for new items.
Permanently delete large emails
- In the Search box, type
- Click Search .
Note: Replace '
10' with a higher number to delete larger files.
- Select the emails you don't need, then click Delete .
- On the left side of the page, click More Bin.
- At the top, click Empty Bin now.
Permanently delete emails in Spam
- On the left, click Spam. If you can't see Spam, click More.
- At the top, click Delete all spam messages now. Or, select specific emails, then click Delete forever.
Store photos & videos as 'High quality'
Change your photos and videos from 'Original quality' to 'High quality', which doesn't take up storage space.
- On a computer, go to photos.google.com/settings.
- Click Recover storage. This won't change the quality of your future uploads.
Move photos & videos to the Bin
- On your computer, go to photos.google.com.
- Point to an item you want to move to the Bin.
- In the top left, click Select .
- In the top right, click Delete Move to Bin.
Buy more space
What uses your storage space
- Google Drive:
- Most files in your 'My Drive', including PDFs, images and videos.
- Items in your Bin. Learn how to empty your Bin.
Note: Google Docs, Sheets, Slides, Forms and Sites don't take up storage space.
- Gmail: Messages and attachments, including items in your Spam and Bin folders.
- Google Photos: Photos and videos stored in 'Original quality'. Learn how to change the size so photos and videos don't use storage.
Remove hidden data from apps in Google Drive
- On your computer, go to drive.google.com
- Click Settings Settings.
- On the left, click Manage Apps.
- If there's hidden data, you can find the amount under the app's description.
- To delete this data, click Options Delete hidden app data.
- Google Drive: Google Docs, Sheets, Slides, Forms, Sites and files in 'Shared with me'. These files only take up space in the owner's Google Drive.
- Google Photos: Photos and videos stored in 'High quality'.
Items in Google Drive for your computer take up a different amount of space than the same items at drive.google.com.
- Items in your Bin take up space in Google Drive, but aren't synced to your computer.
- Shared items will take up space on your computer, but not in Google Drive.
- Items that are in multiple folders will be synced to all folders on your computer, taking up more space.
- If you only sync some folders to your computer, the storage on your computer will be less than what is shown on Google Drive.
- Your computer may show a slightly different file size than drive.google.com due to Mac or PC requirements.
All of your current files will remain, but you won't be able to add new files. For example:
- Google Drive: You won't be able to sync or upload new files. Syncing between your computer's Google Drive folder and My Drive will stop. You can still create Google documents because they don't take up any storage space.
- Google Photos: If you store photos in original quality and run out of storage space, you can buy more storage, back up in high quality (lower resolution) or turn off back up.
- Gmail: You won't be able to send or receive messages.