Clear Google Drive space & increase storage
Your storage is shared across Google Drive, Gmail, and Google Photos. To see how much space you have left, go to google.com/settings/storage on a computer.
What uses my storage space?
- Google Drive:
- Most files in your "My Drive," including PDFs, images, videos.
- Items in your Trash. Learn how to empty your trash.
- Note: Your storage isn't used by Google Docs, Sheets, Slides, Forms, and Sites.
- Gmail: Messages and attachments, including items in your Spam and Trash folders.
- Google Photos: Photos and videos stored using the "Original" size. (You can change the size so photos and videos don't use storage. Learn more about photo storage.)
Remove hidden data from apps in Google Drive
Some apps store "hidden data" in Google Drive. To see how much data is used:
- Go to drive.google.com.
- Click Settings Settings.
- On the left, click Manage Apps.
If there is hidden app data, the amount will show under the app description. To delete this data, click Options Delete hidden app data.
- Google Drive:
- Google Docs, Sheets, Slides, Forms, Sites, and files in "Shared with me."
- Files only take up space in the owner's Google Drive.
- Google Photos: Photos and videos stored using the "High Quality" size. Learn how to change the size in Settings.
- Pixel phones: You can back up an unlimited number of photos and videos to Google Photos from a Pixel phone. Learn how to manage storage on your Pixel device.
When you use Google Drive for your computer, you can see that items take up a different amount of space than they do at drive.google.com.
- Items in your Trash take up space in Google Drive, but aren't synced to your computer.
- Shared items will take up space on your computer, but not Google Drive.
- Items that are in multiple folders will be synced to all folders on your computer, taking up more space.
- If you're only syncing some folders to your computer, the storage on your computer will be less than what is shown on Google Drive.
- Your computer may show a slightly different file size than drive.google.com because of Mac or PC requirements.
If you run out of space, all your files will stay safe, but you won't be able to store new things. For example:
- Google Drive: You won't be able to sync or upload new files, and syncing between your computer's Google Drive folder and My Drive will stop. You'll still be able to create Google documents because they don't take up any storage space.
- Google Photos: You'll only be able to upload new photos and videos stored at High quality.
- Gmail: Messages people send to you will be returned to them.
Get more storage space
To get more space, we recommend deleting large items or buying more storage.
Clear space in Google Drive, Gmail, and Google Photos to make room for new items. Here are some ways to do that:
Clear space in Google Drive by deleting large files that you don't need. To sort your files by file size:
Permanently delete large emails
- In the Search box, type "
has:attachment larger:10M", then click Search . Note: Replace "
10" with a higher number to delete larger files.
- Select the emails you don't need, then click Delete .
- On the left side of the page, click More Trash.
- At the top, click Empty Trash now.
Permanently delete emails in Spam
- On the left, click Spam. If you don't see Spam, click More.
- At the top, click Delete all spam messages now. Or, select specific emails, then click Delete forever.
Store photos & videos as High Quality
Clear space by changing your photos and videos from the "Original" size to the "High quality" size, which doesn't take up storage space.
- On a computer, go to photos.google.com/settings.
- Click Recover storage. This will not change the quality of your future uploads.
Permanently delete unwanted photos & videos
- On your computer, go to photos.google.com.
- Place your cursor over items you want to move to trash. At the top left, click Select . You can also select multiple items.
- At the top right, click Trash .
- To permanently delete photos and videos, click Menu Trash select the photo or video Delete.
OPTION 2: Buy more space
Learn more about buying a storage plan.
Michelle is a Gmail expert and the author of this help page. Leave her feedback about this help page.