Important: Starting October 13, 2020, Google Drive trash will change. After files have been in your trash for 30 consecutive days, Google Drive will begin to delete them. Learn more.
To delete your Google Drive files, move them to the trash. You can restore files from your trash before the 30-day time window. You can also permanently delete them to empty your trash. If you delete, restore, or permanently delete multiple files or folders at once, it might take time for you to notice the changes.
Your storage is shared across Google Drive, Gmail, and Google Photos.
To see how much space you have left, on a computer, go to google.com/settings/storage .
Important: When your account reaches its storage limit, you can’t send or receive emails.
Clear space in Google Drive, Gmail, and Google Photos to make room for new items.
Permanently delete large emails
In the Search box, type
Click Search .
Note: Replace "
10" with a higher number to delete larger files.
- Select the emails you don't need, then click Delete .
- On the left side of the page, click Menu Trash.
- At the top, click Empty trash now.
Permanently delete emails in Spam
- On the left, click Spam. If you don't see Spam, click More.
- At the top, click Delete all spam messages now. Or, select specific emails, then click Delete forever.
For other ways to search for email, learn about Gmail search operators.
Store photos & videos as "High quality"
Change your photos and videos from "Original quality" to "High quality," which doesn't take up storage space.
- On a computer, go to photos.google.com/settings.
- Click Recover storage. This won't change the quality of your future uploads.
Move photos & videos to Trash
- On your computer, go to photos.google.com.
- Point to an item you want to move to Trash.
- At the top left, click Select .
- At the top right, click Delete Move to trash.
Delete files you don't need
What uses your storage spaceItems that take up space
- Google Drive:
- Most files in your "My Drive," including PDFs, images, and videos.
- Items in your Trash. Learn how to empty your trash.
Note: Google Docs, Sheets, Slides, Forms, and Sites don't take up storage space.
- Gmail: Messages and attachments, including items in your Spam and Trash folders.
- Google Photos: Photos and videos stored in "Original quality." Learn how to change the size so photos and videos don't use storage.
Remove hidden data from apps in Google Drive
- On your computer, go to drive.google.com.
- Click Settings Settings.
- On the left, click Manage apps.
- If there's hidden data, you can find the amount under the app's description.
- To delete this data, click Options Delete hidden app data.
- Google Drive: Google Docs, Sheets, Slides, Forms, Sites, and files in "Shared with me." These files only take up space in the owner's Google Drive.
- Google Photos: Photos and videos stored in "High quality."
Items in Google Drive for your computer take up a different amount of space than the same items at drive.google.com.
- Items in your Trash take up space in Google Drive, but aren't synced to your computer.
- Shared items will take up space on your computer, but not Google Drive.
- Items that are in multiple folders will be synced to all folders on your computer, taking up more space.
- If you only sync some folders to your computer, the storage on your computer will be less than what is shown on Google Drive.
- Your computer may show a slightly different file size than drive.google.com because of Mac or PC requirements.
If you reached your storage limit, or you downgraded your account and your files now exceed your storage space, you'll notice some restrictions. All of your current files will remain, but you won't be able to add new files. For example:
- Gmail: You won't be able to send or receive messages. Messages sent to you will be returned to the sender.
- Google Drive: You won't be able to sync or upload new files. Syncing between your computer's Google Drive folder and My Drive will stop. You can still create Google documents because they don't take up any storage space.
- Google Photos: You won't be able to upload photos in their Original Quality. If you want to add any more photos, you can either upload or back up in High Quality (lower resolution), or turn off backups.