You can choose whether replies to emails are grouped in conversations, or if each email shows up in your inbox separately.
Note: To learn how to customize Gmail to look like Outlook, visit section 2 of the Learning Center.
Choose your conversation settings
- Open the Gmail app .
- At the top left, tap Menu Settings .
- Under “Inbox,” tap Inbox customizations.
- Turn “Conversation view” on or off.
How Gmail groups automated emails
Important: Emails are grouped when your conversation view setting is turned on.
If you manage a system that sends automated email notifications to a group of people, Gmail might automatically group them into the same conversation.
Emails are grouped if each message meets the following:
- The same recipients, senders, or subject as a previous message
- A reference header with the same IDs as a previous message
- Sent within one week of a previous message
To prevent grouped emails:
- Create a new subject for each message that you don’t want to group.
- Send each message with a unique reference header value that doesn’t match a previous message.