Open & download attachments in Gmail
When you get an email with attachments, you can download a copy of the attachment to your device.
Some photos are sent inside an email message, and not as attachments.
Here are a few ways to save photos from inside emails:
- Download: Right-click the photo and choose the option to save the photo.
- Save to Drive: Download the photo to your computer and then upload to Google Drive.
Include attachments when replying or forwarding
Attachments are included when you forward a message, but aren’t automatically included when you reply to a message.
To include the original attachments when replying:
- At the bottom of the reply box, click the Down arrow .
- Click Include original attachments.
To remove original attachments when replying, go to the right of the attachment, then click X.
Attachments won't open or download
If attachments won't upload or download, try these steps in order:
- Check that you're using a supported browser.
- Try turning off extensions you have on your browser one at a time.
- Clear your browser's cache and cookies.
- Try opening Gmail with labs disabled at this page https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?labs=0. If this fixes the problem, try enabling labs one at a time.
Vivian is a Gmail expert and the author of this help page. Leave her feedback about this help page.