- A restricted space needs a user or group in an organization to be invited or added to the space by an existing space member.
- In addition to the ways listed above, a user can join a discoverable space with a shared link.
Before you create a discoverable space
Important: Users with appropriate permissions can search for and join discoverable spaces.
- Think about how many people would be included in your space.
- Choose an access level appropriate for the space. Make it closed (‘Restricted’) for teams, projects, and groups, or open for all of your organization (‘Discoverable’) for topic-based discussions and collaboration.
- Create a clear description of what the space is for.
- Space managers can edit a space’s name, description, and add or remove users from a space.
Learn more about space managers.
- Before you create a new discoverable space, make sure that someone hasn’t already made a related space you can join.
- A Space Manager can make a restricted space discoverable or the other way around through the space settings menu. Learn more about the Space Manager role.
EligibilityRequirements to use discoverable spaces
- Business Starter
- Business Standard
- Business Plus
- Enterprise Essentials
- Enterprise Standard
- Enterprise Plus
- Education Fundamentals
- Education Standard
- Education Plus
- Teaching and Learning Upgrade
- G Suite Basic
- G Suite Business
- Essentials (domain verified)
- Open Gmail .
- At the bottom, tap New SpaceCreate a space.
- Enter a space name.
- Optional: You can also add a description and a space avatar. To add a space avatar, tap Choose an emoji select an emoji. If you don't select an emoji, a default letter avatar will be used instead.
- Choose a target audience for your organization, either “Restricted” or “All of your organization.” If you have a work or school account with Google, you may see additional target audience options created by your administrator. If you have questions about the audience options available, reach out to your administrator.
- Restricted—Only directly added and invited users have access to the space.
- All of your organization—All members in your organization have access to the space and can join if they have the space’s link.
- Tip: If you selected “All of your organization,” you won’t be able to allow people outside of your organization to join the space.
- Tap Next.
- Enter the name or email of the people you want to add, Google Groups you want to invite, or pick from the list of suggested contacts.
- Note: Bots can be added to a space after the space is created. Learn more about adding a bot to an existing space.
- Optional: You can tap Skip to add contacts or groups to your space at a later time.
- Tap Done.
Tip: If your administrator deletes the target audience you selected for your space, " Deleted Audience" displays in the space history like in the example below and the space access defaults to restricted.
Space Managers are still able to add or invite users to access the space.
Learn how to add or remove people and bots from a space or group conversation.
Add new members to a discoverable space
- Copying a link to the space and sharing with others.
- Directly adding or inviting them.
- Open Gmail .
- At the bottom, tap Spaces select the space you want to invite members to.
- At the top, tap the space name Copy link to this space.
- Share the link with anyone you’d want to invite to the space.
- Open the Gmail app .
- At the bottom, tap Spaces a space.
- At the top, tap the space name Manage members.
- To invite people, enter a name, email, Google Group, or select a suggested contact.
- Tap Done.