Create a sharding users list (Optional)
Create a sharding users list if you're migrating a large number of files to Google Drive from Microsoft® SharePoint®, file shares, or Box®. If you're not migrating 50,000 files or more to a single user’s Drive account or to a shared drive, you can skip this step and go to Create a scoped view for SharePoint, file shares or Box.
What is a sharding users list?
A sharding users list is a CSV file with email addresses from your target account. The user accounts belonging to the email addresses are used to write objects to a user's My Drive or a shared drive, spreading the migration load between the accounts. Using a sharding user list improves migration performance and speed when you're migrating a large number of files to Drive. You'll use the list when you configure your bridge.
Step 1: Create a CSV file
Important: To easily see the file metadata in Drive after the migration, we recommend that you set up temporary G Suite users for your sharding users list. Then, delete the users after you complete the migration. For details, see Options for adding users and Delete a user from your organization.
To determine the number of user accounts to add to the sharding users list, use the larger value of:
- One account per 50,000 files that are being migrated to Drive.
- 10 accounts per node. For details on nodes, see How many node servers do I need?
To create the CSV file:
- Create the list in a spreadsheet program with one entry per line.
- Headers are not required.
- Save the spreadsheet as a CSV file.
- Make sure the character encoding of the CSV file is set to UTF-8.
Step 2: Add the list
- In the G Suite Migrate platform, click New List.
- Enter a name for the list.
- Under Type, click the Down arrow Users.
- Click Upload CSV file to upload a CSV file or drag a file to the box.
- Click Create.
You'll be able to select the list when creating a bridge.