Use Google Play with Daydream
You can buy apps and games on the Google Play Store to use with the Daydream virtual reality (VR) headset. Some apps are only available on Daydream, and some of the apps you use already will work with Daydream as well. You can also watch content from your Google Play Movies library with Daydream.
Buy apps from Play in Daydream
- Open the Daydream app .
- Within Daydream, open the Google Play Store app .
- Browse for what you want to buy and click on it.
- Click on Install or the price.
- Follow the onscreen instructions to complete your purchase.
Once you buy or install something, it will be in your Daydream library and you’ll be able to use it in virtual reality.
Motion intensity rating for apps
All apps which you can use on Daydream have a motion intensity rating. This tells you what kind of movement you can expect when using the app.
If you are using an app and it feels too intense for you, stop using it and find an app with a lower motion intensity rating.
There are three app ratings:
- No motion: You will be stationary and looking around a virtual scene from a fixed point. For example, you might be watching a movie or looking at a piece of artwork.
- Moderate motion: You will be moving through a scene and can look around. For example, you might be walking through a park and looking around.
- Intense motion: You will be moving rapidly in many directions. For example, you might be flying or skiing.
To see the motion intensity rating for an app:
- Browse for the app in the Google Play Store .
- Select the app to open the app detail page.
- Look for the motion intensity rating in the description, next to the app rating and maturity level.
Issues when you make purchases
To find apps which work with your Daydream headset, open the Play Store while using the headset. All the apps you see will work with Daydream VR.
Sometimes you might need to exit VR mode to complete a purchase. Once you finish what you need to do, you’ll be able to continue using Daydream in VR mode.
Any movies you buy on Google Play are added to your Google Play Movies & TV library. You can then watch them both within Daydream VR and normally within the Google Play Movies app.
Dan is a Google Play expert and author of this help page. Leave him feedback below about the page.