Rent textbooks & books
You can rent certain textbooks and books for a set period of time on Google Play Books. When you rent a book, you can use the same features you get when you buy one.
Note: Not all textbooks and books are available for rent.
Rent a book
- Browse textbooks or search for a specific book on Google Play.
- Touch or click the book you want to rent.
- If the blue price button starts with "From" or says "Rent" next to the price, then the book is available for rent. To rent the book, click the blue button and check out.
To find the book you rented: Open the Play Books app or visit Play Books on the web and go to your library.
Your rental period
Important: Your rental period starts as soon as you finish your purchase, even if you haven’t opened the book.
Rental periods are different from book to book. Before you rent a book, you should make sure you have enough time to read it before the rental expires.Check how much time you have left in your rental
- Open the Play Books app or visit Play Books on the web.
- Find the book in your library. The amount of time left displays on the book’s cover.
Rentals that have run out say Expired. If you aren’t finished with the book, you’ll either need to rent it again or buy it.
What you can do with your rental
Problems with books rentals
If you’re seeing a placeholder in My Library or your rented book hasn’t appeared at all:
- Make sure you’ve updated to the latest version of the Google Play books app.
- Make sure you’re signed into the Google Account you used to rent the book.
- If neither of these fixes the problem, try these troubleshooting steps.