Rent textbooks & books
You can rent digital versions of some textbooks and books on Google Play Books. When you rent a book, you can:
- Read the book on any device you have Google Play Books on.
- Download the book to read offline.
- Take notes, place bookmarks, highlight sections, and more.
Find textbooks to rent
- On Google Play Books, browse textbooks for rent or search for a specific book.
- Tap or click the book you want to rent.
- Check whether it says "Rent" next to the price in the blue button.
- To rent the book, tap or click the blue button and check out.
- To find the book you rented, go to your library.
See the length of the rental
- Find the book you want to rent.
- To see the information, tap or click the book cover.
- Look next to the price. The rental period is displayed in days.
Check how much time you have left in your rental
Your rental period starts as soon as you make your purchase, even if you haven’t opened the book. To see how long you have left:
- Open your library on the Google Play Books app or go to your Play Books library on the web.
- Find the book in your library. The amount of time left is shown on the book’s cover.
Rentals that have run out say Expired. If you aren’t finished with the book, rent it again or buy it. You’ll still be able to see highlights and notes you made.
Problems with books rentals
If the book you rented hasn’t appeared in your library:
- Make sure you’re signed in to the Google Account you used to rent the book.
- Make sure you’ve updated to the latest version of the Google Play books app.
- If neither of these fixes the problem, try these troubleshooting steps.
Rachel is a Google Play expert and author of this help page. Leave her feedback below about the page.