If you see charges that you don't recognise on your billing statement (for example: credit card statement, mobile operator bill or PayPal account), before you contact Google, follow the steps below:
Step 1: Check if charges are from Google Play
On your billing statement, check how the charges appear. All Google Play purchases will appear on your statement, under the following names:
- 'GOOGLE*App developer name' (for Android apps)
- 'GOOGLE*App name' (for Android apps)
- 'GOOGLE*Content type' (i.e. 'GOOGLE*Books')
If the charge in question isn't in one of these formats, it didn't come from Google Play. Contact your payment provider (for example, bank or card-issuer) for more information.
Step 2: Check where the charges came from
If you see a charge on your billing statement for a digital purchase on Google Play that you didn't make, ask your family and friends to see if:
- They accidentally used your payment method to make the purchase, or
- A child may have played a game that resulted in accidental charges.
Step 3: Report the charges
Select the type of transaction to submit a report.Request a refund if your family or friend made the purchase
To get a refund if the charge was made accidentally by a friend or family member, follow the steps below:
- On your computer, go to play.google.com/store/account.
- Click Order history.
- Find the order that you want to return.
- Select Request a refund or Report a problem and choose the option that describes your situation.
- Complete the form and note that you'd like a refund.
- You'll get a message that says 'Thank you for sharing your concerns'. You'll then get an email with your refund decision. You’ll usually get this within 15 minutes but it can take up to four working days.
Tip: To help prevent unauthorised charges, learn how to use password protection on your device.
Important: Make sure that you report an unauthorised transaction within 120 days.
Once you confirm that the charge is from Google Play and that it wasn't made by anyone you know, submit a report to our support team with the 'Report unauthorised purchases' form.
Check the status of your report
- Go to the 'Report unauthorised purchases' form.
- Select Check your claim status.