Read books on Google Play
You can use your computer, Android, or iOS device to read books you bought on Google Play and use features like bookmarks, notes, and word definitions to enhance your reading experience.
Read your books
In the Read Now section of the Google Play Books app, you'll see the books you recently opened.
To see all the books in your library, go to Menu > My Library. To start reading, just touch a book and it'll download to your device.
If you don't see the books you've bought, make sure you're signed in to the same Google Account you used to buy the book.
- Touch the Menu in the top left corner.
- To select a different account, touch the down arrow next to the account you're currently signed in to.
Go to the Settings for your device. Under "Accounts," touch Add account.
Add books to your library
Touch Menu > Shop.
See recommendations & get free samples
In the Read Now section, below your recently opened books, you'll see recommendations for books you may like. To sample them for free, just touch Free sample.
Bookmark pages, add notes, get definitions, and moreBookmark pages
- Add or remove a bookmark: Touch the bookmark icon in the top right corner of the page.
- See a list of your bookmarks: Touch the middle of the page > Browse > Bookmarks.
As you're reading, you can add notes, get definitions or translations, or search for words or phrases. Here's how:
- Touch and hold a word to select it.
- To expand your selection, drag the cursor on either side.
- You'll see the following options:
- Note: Touch this option to enter a note.
- Define: Get the definition of the word you selected.
- Translate: See a translation of the word or phrase you selected.
- Search: Search for your selected word or phrase within the book, on the web, or on Wikipedia.
When books have interactive content, touch the Play button to start playing the audio or video. If you turn the page, the audio or video will stop playing.
Note: Audio and video can only be played when you’re connected to the Internet. To help prevent excess data charges, you may want to connect to Wi-Fi before you stream audio and video.
If you have a hard time reading text on your device, you can have books read aloud by turning on TalkBack.
In Skim mode, you can flip through pages quickly and jump to chapters, bookmarks, and notes. To enter Skim mode:
- Open a book.
- Touch the middle of the page.
- Swipe to move quickly through pages.
You can see your progress or jump to bookmarks on the slider bar at the bottom of the screen. To jump to a specific:
- Chapter: Touch the chapter name in the top left and choose from the list.
- Page: Touch the page number and type the one you want
Manage your library
Here’s how to manage your books in My Library.
- Sort books: To sort books by date, title, or author, touch Sort in the upper right corner.
- Filter books: To see lists of books you purchased, uploaded, or sampled, touch Menu > My Library and use the navigation at the top.
- Remove books: On the book’s cover, touch Menu > Delete from My Library.
- On your computer, visit your orders page on Google Play.
- Next to the book you want, click Menu > Delete forever.
- Clear your Play Books mobile app data by visiting Settings on your device > Application manager > Google Play Books > Clear data.
- If you have the Play Books app for Chrome, open Chrome.
- Click Menu > Settings > Show advanced settings > Clear browsing data (under “Privacy”).
- Check the box next to “Hosted app data.”
- Click Clear browsing data.
Mark is a Google Play expert and author of this help page. Leave him feedback below about the page.