You can download ebooks from Google Play Books so you can read them anywhere, even when you don't have an internet connection.
Download books for offline reading
- Open the Google Play Books app .
- Go to your library.
- Next to the book you want to download, tap Download .
- Once the book is downloaded, a Downloaded icon displays .
- On Android (version 2023.04.17.00 and up), you can download multiple books at once. Tap and hold a book, select more books, and then tap Download .
- To remove downloaded books, tap and hold to select multiple books and tap Remove download .
Download using Wi-Fi only
To avoid data charges, you can download ebooks using Wi-Fi only.
- On your phone or tablet, open the Google Play Books app .
- At the top right, tap your profile picture.
- Tap Play Books Settings Download over Wi-Fi only.
Save new downloads to an SD card
Before you start
- The SD card must be formatted as “Internal” or “Portable Storage.” Settings and functionality vary by phone. For more information, contact your device manufacturer.
- Check if your SD card has enough storage.
Save books to an SD card
- On your Android phone or tablet, open Play Books .
- At the top right, tap your profile picture or initials.
- Tap Play Books settings .
- Turn on Download new books to SD card.
- If Play Books can’t download to your SD card, it automatically downloads to your internal storage instead.
- Previous downloads don’t transfer to the SD card. To move previously downloaded books to the SD card, turn on SD card storage, remove the download, and then redownload the book.