You can download ebooks from Google Play Books so you can read them anywhere, even when you don't have an internet connection.
How to download books on an Android phone
Tip: You can't download some large book files.
- Make sure your Android phone or tablet is connected to Wi-Fi.
- Open the Google Play Books app .
- Go to your library.
- Tap the book you want to download.
- You can also tap More Download to save the book for offline reading.
- Once the book is saved to your device, a Downloaded icon will appear .
Download using Wi-Fi only
To avoid data charges, you can download ebooks using Wi-Fi only.
- On your phone or tablet, open the Google Play Books app .
- At the top right, tap your profile picture.
- Tap Play Books Settings Download over Wi-Fi only.
Save new downloads to an SD card
Before you start
- The SD card must be formatted as “Internal” or “Portable Storage.” Settings and functionality vary by phone. For more information, contact your device manufacturer.
- You must have the latest version of the Play Books app. You can update your app on the Play Store.
- Make sure your SD card has enough storage space.
Save books to an SD card
- On your Android phone or tablet, open Play Books .
- At the top right, tap your profile picture or initials.
- Tap Play Books settings .
- Turn on Download new books to SD card.
Tip: If Play Books can’t download to your SD card, it automatically downloads to your internal storage instead.