This article outlines the customer support practices which Google Payment Malaysia (“GPMY”) has in place in order to satisfy the Bank Negara Malaysia (“BNM”) issued Fair Treatment of Financial Consumers Policy Document on 6 November 2019, which took effect in May 2020.
GPMY is registered with the Financial Ombudsman Scheme (“FOS”) and complies at all times with the terms of membership as set out in the terms of reference of the FOS approved by BNM.
GPMY’s goal is to have a set of guidelines that are attentive to the needs of financial consumers, and help them conduct their businesses in a way that fosters trust and confidence. GPMY’s corporate culture and core values consists of fair treatment of its financial consumers and consideration of their best interests. GPMY is committed towards ensuring safe operations, privacy of consumer information, reliable and quality services, transparency of product and services and prompt response to enquiries, complaints, refund and disputes.
This policy document aims to:
- Foster high standards of responsible and professional conduct;
- Promote a culture where the interests of financial consumers are an integral part of our business strategies and operations;
- Set expectations to effectively manage conduct risk; and
- Provide financial consumers with the confidence we exercise due care, skill and diligence, and act fairly in our dealings with financial consumers.
This document is owned by the Google Play Customer Support team and shall be subject to a periodic review and approval by the GPMY Board of Directors.
Fair treatment of financial consumers charter
To protect the interests and financial well-being of our customers:
We commit to embed fair dealing into our institution’s corporate culture and core values
- We will set minimum standards on fair business practices in all dealings with our users. This includes preserving the confidentiality of our customers’ information; and
- We will take customers’ feedback seriously and provide immediate constructive feedback to our staff.
We commit to ensure that our customers are provided with fair terms
- We will ensure that the terms in our contracts or agreements are fair, transparent, and well communicated to users.
- We will ensure that the terms and conditions set out the respective rights, liabilities and obligations clearly and as far as possible in plain language.
- We commit to provide at least twenty-one (21) days notice before any changes to the terms and conditions/Terms of Service take effect.
We commit to ensure that customers are provided with clear, relevant and timely information on financial services and products
- We will provide Play Balance users with relevant and timely information of Play Balance;
- We will refund the balance in the Play Balance accounts within 1 month from the date the request is made, and without additional cost (except what is necessary to complete the refund), in the event that the user:
- Decides to close his/her account;
- No longer wishes to use Play Balance; or
- Was wrongly charged due to technical discrepancies.
- We commit to ensure that Play Balance users are provided with clear, relevant and timely information (including complaints handling procedures) in order for them to make informed decisions before, during and after the point of sale. Relevant information is available in our help center articles.
- We provide clear terms and conditions (“T&C”) for Play Balance users that are available in the company’s help center on the website, as are the T&C for refunds.
We commit to ensure that GPMY's staff, representatives and agents (collectively, "GPMY Employees") exercise due care, skill and diligence when dealing with financial customers
- We will conduct dealings with financial customers with integrity and will not make false or exaggerated claims;
- Our commitment to Play Balance users reflects Google’s commitments to its users, as embodied in Google’s Code of Conduct.
We commit to ensure that financial consumers’ complaints and claims are handled in a prompt, fair and effective manner
- We commit to make reasonable efforts to understand the issue; investigate the complaint thoroughly; and explain the basis of the decision when responding to the financial customer.
- We commit to ensure safe operations, privacy of consumer information, reliable and quality services, transparency of product and services and prompt response to enquiries, complaints, refund and disputes;
- Upon receipt of a complaint, we will attempt to resolve the issue. If a customer remains unsatisfied with the final outcome, we shall inform the customer of the availability of the Ombudsman for Financial Services.