By creating promotions in the Play Console, you can give users a free paid app, in-app product or subscription with a promo code. There are two types of promo codes available:
One-off codes: Automatically generated unique codes that can be redeemed once only. Users can redeem one-off codes directly from the Play Store or in-app.
Custom codes: Custom codes specified by you that can be redeemed multiple times, up to your predefined limit. Users can only redeem custom codes in-app. Custom codes are only available for subscriptions and can only be redeemed by users who have not previously subscribed.
Note: You must make eligibility criteria for promotions clear to your users.
Set up a promotionStep 1: Get your app ready to use promo codes
In-app purchases: If you want to offer promo codes for in-app purchases, you need to integrate In-app Promotions in your app. Bear in mind that promo codes can't be used for inactive in-app products.
Paid apps: To offer promo codes for paid apps, you can skip this step and begin with step 2.
How many promo codes can I create?
Different quarterly limits apply for non-subscription promo codes and subscription promo codes. Promo codes created for subscription promotions do not count towards your limit for non-subscription promotions, and vice versa.
You can create up to 500 promo codes per quarter across all non-subscription promotions in an app. You can use any combination of paid app and in-app promo codes, such as:
- 500 paid app promo codes, or
- 500 promo codes for one in-app product, or
- 250 paid app promo codes + 250 promo codes for one in-app product, or
- 100 promo codes for five in-app products.
You can use subscription promotions within the following limits:
One-off codes: 10,000 promo codes per quarter per subscription product.
Custom codes: You can choose a redemption limit during promotion creation, which must be between a minimum of 2,000 and a maximum of 99,999.
Note: Once you create a promotion, you can't change the number of promo codes in that promotion or switch promo codes to a different type (e.g. change a paid app promo to a managed product promo).
What happens to my one-off codes at the end of a quarter?
- New codes: If it's the first day of a new quarter and you can't create new codes yet. Wait 24 hours and try again.
- Unused codes: If you don't use all of your promo codes in a quarter, you'll lose access to them. Unused codes won't carry over to the next quarter.
- Processed codes: Users can redeem promo codes on the Play Store up until the promotion end date you entered in the Play Console. Promotions can last up to one year.
- Go to your Play Console.
- Select an app.
- Select User acquisition > Promotions > Add new promotion.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to name your promotion, choose start and end dates, select your promotion type and enter the number of promo codes that you want to create.
If you’re adding a custom code, enter the code and the redemption limit. Here are some things to consider when creating a custom code:
Custom codes must be unique per app, meaning that you can’t reuse a custom code in the same app for a different campaign.
Custom codes must be alphanumeric and are not case sensitive.
Custom codes cannot contain offensive or inappropriate words or phrases.
We recommend adding a year or date to the end of your custom code to make it easier to track when each code was enabled.
- To turn the promotion on during the start and end dates that you entered, set the status to On.
- Select Create.
- If you created a one-off code, wait several seconds and select the download link. Your codes will download to a CSV file. To share with users, you can print the codes or send a deep link allowing users to redeem the codes via email or a notification within your app.
Review and update promotions
In your Play Console, you can access active and paused promotions.
- Active: Users can redeem your promo codes since it's within the start and end date for the promotion.
- Paused: Users can't redeem your promo codes until you turn the promotion back on. On your Promotions page in the Play Console, make sure that you've set the status to On and set the end date in the future.
Note: After a promotion’s end date has passed, the promo code expires. One the promo code has expired, users can’t redeem the code, and you can’t view or update the code on your Play Console.Update a live or paused promotion
- Go to your Play Console.
- Select an app.
- Select User acquisition > Promotions.
- Select 'Active promotions' from the drop-down .
- You can make updates to the promotion name, start and end date, and status (on or off).
- Update a start date: If you change a promotion start date to a future date, you're pausing the promotion until that date.
- Update an end date: You can only update a promotion end date to a future date.