To get started with Google Pay, download and set up the Google Pay app.
Tip: For step-by-step videos, check out Google Pay’s YouTube channel.
What you need
- To use the app, you must be at least 18 years old.
- You need to have a valid US or Singaporean (+65) phone number.
- An Android device with Lollipop 5.0 and up. Learn how to update your Android version.
Tip: The Google Pay app won’t work on a rooted device.
Get the Google Pay app
From the Play Store, download the Google Pay app .
Set up Google Pay
Important: To use the Google Pay app, you must have a Google Account. If you have more than one Google Account, choose one to use. You can change the Google Account linked to the Google Pay app at any time.
Currently, the Google Pay app doesn't support Google Enterprise accounts, Google Workspace (previously G suite) accounts, or Android work profiles.
- Open the Google Pay app .
- In the top right, confirm your country.
- Select your Google Account. If you have more than one Google Account, select the one that you want to use.
- Tap Continue.
- Enter and verify your phone number.
- Set your privacy settings. Choose if you want to:
- Let friends find and pay you in the Google Pay app.
- Opt in to earn rewards when you make eligible purchases.
- Turn on personalization to improve your experience within the Google Pay app.
Add a screen lock
- For your security on the Google Pay app, you must set up a screen lock on your device.
- When you use Google Pay, you may be asked to unlock the app.