1. Things to know before you begin
Nest Hello is designed to replace a wired doorbell
The steps are different to install Hello with the
You can also watch a video to learn the basic steps for installing Hello with the power adapter.
2. What you'll need for installation
- A Phillips screwdriver.
- A power drill.
- A Phillips bit.
- An 11/32 in (9 mm) drill bit that’s long enough to go completely through your home’s exterior wall.
- A hammer.
- A pencil.
- A bubble level (to check doorbell alignment).
- A Google Home or other Google Assistant-enabled device, such as the Google Nest Hub, if you would like a separate doorbell chime in addition to using the Nest app on your phone. You can purchase a Google Assistant-enabled device from the Google Store or a local retailer.
Nest app and internet requirements
- A compatible phone or tablet.
- Your Wi-Fi network password.
- A broadband internet connection, with a minimum of 2 Mbps upload speed for each camera in your home.
- If you’re using a Google Home or other Assistant enabled device as a doorbell chime, check their requirements.
3. Install Nest Hello with the power adapter
1. Turn off power
Before you get started, go to your home's breaker
- Keep in mind that you’ll need to know where any in-wall plumbing and electric wiring are.
- Check the building codes where you live to make sure your installation is safe.
2. Sign in to your account or create one
- If you’re new to Nest: Go to the Google Play or Apple App Store to download the Nest app and create a free account.
- If you already own a Nest product: Sign in to your account on the app, if you aren’t already.
3. Scan the QR code
Then scan the QR code on the back of Hello. You can also find it
The app will begin installation steps.
Tip: If you’re having trouble scanning the code, make sure you
the characters at the top of the QR code.
4. Skip the app instructions
When you get to this step, tap Skip.
Then follow the instructions in this article to
5. Check if you need to use the wedge
You can use the included wedge if you’re installing Hello in a corner, or you simply want to change the viewing angle a bit.
Stick the wedge onto the wall plate with the adhesive
Make sure you install the wedge the right way
6. Drill and install the wall plate
If you are replacing your current doorbell
You may be able to mount Hello over the old doorbell button’s location. But you might need to drill a new hole or remove the current doorbell wires and drill out the existing hole so the power adapter’s cable can pass through the wall.
If you don’t have a doorbell
Install Hello about 4 feet, or 1.2 meters high- this is where most doorbells are located.
1. Use the wall plate to mark holes to drill for the
2. Drill a hole for the power cable all the way through the wall.
3. Drill pilot holes for the screws with a 3/32 inch (2 mm) drill bit.
4. Mount the wall plate with the screws.
7. Run the power cable through the wall
Go inside your home and slip the wall grommet over the adapter cable. Then run the cable through the hole to the outside.Important: Don’t plug in the adapter yet. You might damage it if the wire ends touch each other. Keep it unplugged until you finish installation.
8. Connect the adapter wires to Hello
Connect the wires to Nest Hello.
9. Mount Hello
Slide the top of Hello into the wall plate. Then press
If it doesn’t seat properly or you don’t hear a click,
included release tool (or a thumbtack) into the hole
on the bottom to release it.
10. Switch the power on and plug in the adapter
Skip ahead in the app until it asks you to switch the power back on. Then turn the power on at your breaker or fuse box and plug the power adapter into the indoor wall outlet.
You can use an extension cord to reach if needed. If you have excess cable, you can either tuck it back into the hole in the wall or use a cable tie to wrap it up.
11. Check Hello's power
Once it’s plugged in Nest Hello will turn on, and its light ring will turn blue.Troubleshooting
If the light ring doesn’t turn on, double check that the adapter is plugged in to a live wall outlet. Then unplug the adapter and plug it back in. Also make sure the wires are properly connected to the back of Hello and that the screws are snug.
12. Finish setup with the app
1. Connect to Wi-Fi
First, you’ll tell the app where you installed Nest Hello. Then select your Wi-Fi network and enter the password. Hello will then connect to Wi-Fi.
If Hello can’t connect to your Wi-Fi network, you can try to move your router a bit closer or adding a Wi-Fi extender.
If you already have a Nest product installed in your home, Hello will try to get your Wi-Fi info from it. Try to move it closer to Hello if possible or, temporarily uninstall Hello and plug it in closer to the assisting product while you try to connect to Wi-Fi again.
2. Test the video stream
3. Turn off the chime and test
Before you test Hello, turn off the chime option in the app even if you don’t have a wired doorbell chime installed.
- Exit Hello setup by tapping Done.
- Tap your Hello on the Nest app home screen. Then tap Settings .
- Set the Indoor chime On/Off option to off.
- Now press Hello’s button to check that it’s working. You should also get a notification from the app that someone’s at your door.
4. Optional: Connect Hello to Google Assistant
You can have a Google Home, Google Nest Hub, or other device with Google Assistant built-in, sound a chime and announce visitors when they ring the doorbell.
1. Change Nest app settings
2. Make sure that the Indoor chime On/Off option is set to off.
3. Set turn Visitor announcements to on.
2. Set up your device with the Google Assistant
If you haven’t already, use the Google Home app to set up your Google Nest Hub or other device with Google Assistant built-in. Just plug it in, open the Google Home app and follow the app’s instructions.
3. Connect Hello to the Google Home app
1. Open the Google Home app and tap Add Set up device.
2. Select Works with Google and choose Nest from the list.
3. Follow the app’s instructions.