How to place your Nest Cam IQ Indoor inside your home
We designed Nest Cam IQ Indoor for quick and easy installation just about anywhere. It comes with its own stand, so you can simply place your camera on a horizontal surface like a shelf – no tools needed. If you prefer, you can install it on a wall or ceiling with the Nest Cam IQ indoor wall mount or even attach it to a third-party tripod.
Here's what you'll be doing in this series of articles to set up your camera:
- Add your camera to the Nest app
- Place or mount your camera - You are here
- Get started using your camera
No matter where you choose to place your Nest Cam IQ
The camera head tilts 160° backward and forward, so you
You can also rotate the camera in its stand 180° left and
Before you get started
- Make sure you’ve set up your camera with the Nest app before proceeding.
- Still deciding on a location for your camera? Here are some tips to help you pick a good spot.
- Remove the sticker on your Nest Cam’s lens. It’s only there for protection during shipping and installation.
- Review the Safety Guidelines for using your camera.
Place your camera
Nest Cam IQ Indoor’s stand includes a wide base to help it stay put, and its sleek design fits in with almost any decor.
The stand is already attached, so after you’ve set up your camera with the Nest app, here’s all you need to do:
Tip: To help its sensors provide a better image, angle your camera so the surface it’s sitting on stays out of view.
Optional: Install the Nest Cam IQ indoor wall mount
|The Nest Cam IQ indoor wall mount lets you securely
attach your camera to a wall, ceiling, or other flat
surface. It includes a 1/4”-20 tripod extension to
screw your camera into
How to get the Nest Cam IQ Indoor wall mount
If you've already purchased a Nest Cam IQ Indoor, check your email inbox for a message from Nest. If you didn’t get the email, you can always contact Nest Support to have us send you a wall mount.
1. Install the wall mount
After you’ve set up your camera with the Nest app, follow these steps:
- Gather the following tools:
- A drill with 1/16” bit (for wood) or 1/8” bit (optional, for drywall)
- A Phillips screwdriver
- A hammer
- A pencil
- A ladder, if you’re installing your camera up high
- Everything included with the wall mount: mounting plate, wall anchors, screws, cable clips and nails.
- Take your camera to the spot where you want to install it and make sure it can stream video from that location. If it goes offline, it’s too far away and you’ll need to find a spot that’s closer to your Wi-Fi router.
- Hold the wall mount with the flat black side against the wall or ceiling. Mark the two screw holes with your pencil. Then remove the mount for the next step.
- Depending on the surface:
- Drywall: Screw the two plastic anchors into the wall or ceiling. The anchors are designed to be self-drilling. If you prefer, you can drill 1/8” pilot holes and then screw in the anchors.
5. Position the wall mount over the anchors or pilot holes,
6. Line up the tripod hole on your camera’s base and
Tip: During this step, be sure to rotate the camera’s
2. Adjust your camera's view
Now that your camera is attached to the wall mount, you can adjust the image as it appears in the Nest app.
- Gently swivel the camera head until it’s pointing at the scene you want to keep an eye on.
Tip: If the wall mount won’t let you point your camera where you want, you have two options. You can twist the camera’s base a little bit to move the camera’s range of motion, while making sure that your camera is still securely mounted. Or, you can try unscrewing the wall mount, rotating it 180 degrees, and screwing it back in to give your camera head a different range of motion when it’s screwed in.
- Check the video in the Nest app and further fine-tune your camera’s viewing angle if you need to.
- If your camera is mounted on the ceiling and the image is upside down, flip the video in the Nest app.
3. Add the cable clips
- Insert the camera’s cable into the clip.
- Nail the clip to the wall or ceiling.
Optional: Install your camera on a tripod (purchased separately)
Nest Cam IQ Indoor includes a built-in tripod hole on the bottom of the stand that works with a standard 1/4” - 20 male extension. This will let you attach your camera to a tripod or any other camera mount that uses this style of attachment.
- If you choose this option, you’ll need to buy a third-party tripod. You can get one from an online retailer, or you can shop for one at your local electronics, camera, or home security store.
- Make sure the tripod you buy includes a standard 1/4”-20 male attachment. Most tripods use this attachment, so you’ll have a variety of options to choose from.
Remember you don’t need to limit yourself to a traditional straight-legged tripod. Instead, you might want to get one with flexible legs that grip onto things, allowing you to install your camera in places where a straight-legged tripod can’t go. For example, you can bend the legs around an exposed support beam or pipe that’s up high and out of the way.
Make sure the legs can grip tightly enough to keep your camera mounted securely over time.