Nest Cam IQ Indoor is designed for quick and easy installation just about anywhere. It comes with its own stand, so you can place your camera on a surface like a shelf, no tools needed.
If you prefer, you can install it on a wall or ceiling with the Nest Cam IQ indoor wall mount or even attach it to a third-party tripod.
Here's what you need to do in this series of articles to set up your camera:
- Set up and connect Nest camera.
- Place or mount your camera. (You are here.)
- Get started with your Nest camera.
Before you begin
- Make sure you’ve set up your camera in the app.
- If you still can't decide where to place your camera, here are some tips to help you pick a good spot.
- Remove the sticker on your Nest Cam’s lens. It’s only there for protection during shipping and installation.
- Review the Safety Guidelines when you use your camera.
Mount your camera with the stand
- Place your camera on a flat surface like a bookshelf or desk.
- Pivot the camera in its stand to adjust the viewing angle.
- Check your camera’s video stream with the app and make further adjustments if needed.
Tip: If your camera can’t connect to Wi-Fi or if the video stream is interrupted, you might need to pick another location where the signal is stronger. Even a few inches can make a difference.
Troubleshoot when Nest camera is offline
Install your camera on a wall or ceiling
The Nest Cam IQ indoor wall mount lets you securely mount your camera to a wall, ceiling or other flat surface. It includes a 1/4”- 20 tripod extension to screw your camera into.
1. Install the wall mount and camera
After you’ve set up your camera with the app, follow these steps:
- Gather the following tools:
- A drill with 1/16” bit (for wood) or 1/8” bit (optional, for drywall)
- A Phillips screwdriver
- A hammer
- A pencil
- A ladder, if you want to install your camera up high
- Everything included with the wall mount: wall anchors, screws, cable clips, and nails.
- Take your camera to the spot where you want to install it. Make sure it can stream video from that location. If it goes offline, try to find a spot that’s closer to your Wi-Fi router.
- Hold the wall mount with the flat black side against the wall or ceiling. Mark the 2 screw holes with your pencil. Then, remove the mount for the next step.
- Depending on the surface, drill screw holes in one of the following ways:
- Drywall: Screw the 2 self-drilling, plastic anchors into the wall or ceiling. If you prefer, you can drill 1/8” pilot holes first, and then screw in the anchors.
- Wood: Drill 1/16” pilot holes. You don’t need to install the plastic anchors.
- Position the wall mount over the anchors or pilot holes, with the flat black side against the wall. Then, screw in the screws.The wall mount should now be securely attached to the wall or ceiling.
- Line up the tripod hole on your camera’s base and screw the base into the mount.
2. Adjust your camera's view
- Check the video in the app and further adjust your camera’s viewing angle if you need to.
- Twist the camera’s base a little bit to move the camera’s range of motion. Just make sure that your camera is still securely mounted.
- Try to unscrew the wall mount, rotate it 180 degrees, and screw it back in. This should give your camera head a different range of motion when it’s mounted.
Tip: If your camera’s video is upside down, flip the video in the app.
3. Install the cable clips (optional)
Install your camera on a tripod
Nest Cam IQ Indoor includes a built-in tripod hole on the bottom of the stand that works with a standard 1/4”- 20 male extension. This lets you attach your camera to a tripod or any other camera mount that uses this style of attachment.