This article applies to the following Google Nest thermostats models:
Nest Thermostat E
Nest Learning Thermostat
Note: For help with the Nest Thermostat, go to our Get started with your Nest Thermostat article.
After installation, your Nest thermostat will guide you through a series of simple questions about your home.
Turn your thermostat like a dial to highlight different options and press it like a button to choose one.
Homeowner or Pro
- If you installed your Nest thermostat yourself, select homeowner to answer a few questions about your heating and cooling system.
- Nest Pro has options that only trained professional installers should use for complex systems.
Warning: Incorrect settings in Pro Setup can cause your HVAC system to malfunction and may damage it.
Your thermostat will show you the wires it detects
If you have a conventional system, your thermostat will ask about the fuel source for your heat and how that heat is delivered. The Nest thermostat uses this information to determine how to control your heating and cooling system.
If you know your fuel source, select it from the list.
Choose I don’t know if you’re not sure. You can always go back later to change your fuel source in the Settings Equipment menu.
Type of heating
- Choose O or B
- The only way to tell for sure if the wire is O or B is to check your heat pump’s manual. Look it up online or contact the manufacturer.
- Most systems have an O wire, so O is a good choice if you can’t tell.
Note: If you choose I don’t know, your thermostat will automatically select O.
- Test your system
Don’t worry if you made the wrong selection. Your Nest thermostat will ask you to run a system test at the end of setup. Don’t skip this important step and follow the instructions closely.
- Change the setting if needed
- If you need to change the O/B wire setting, go back and change the O/B wire setting with your thermostat in Settings Equipment Heat Pump.
- Add your thermostat to your account so you can finish setup with the app. When you’re done, you can control it with your phone, change settings remotely, get important notifications, and more.
- You’ll need to be at home near your thermostat to add it to your account. You can’t add it remotely.
Get an entry key from your thermostat or scan the QR code
Simply follow the Nest app’s instructions to add your thermostat to your account. If the app asks you to scan the QR code, use your phone’s camera.
How to add your thermostat after installation
Follow these instructions if:
- You want to connect your thermostat to your account after you’ve completed installation and setup.
- You needed to remove your thermostat from your account for some reason and want to add it back.
- On the Nest app home screen, tap Settings .
- Tap Add product. The app will switch to a camera view to scan the thermostat’s QR code.
- To get the QR code, go to your thermostat and press it to open the Quick View menu.
- Choose Settings .
- Turn the ring to select Nest app and press to open it.
- Select QR code. Your thermostat will show you a unique QR code to scan with the app.