Here are some steps you can take if you’ve just installed your Google Nest Protect or have replaced it and are having trouble adding it to your account or getting it online. You may also see an error in the Nest app, such as P008 or P013.
If you see one of these error codes, select it to view specific troubleshooting steps.
If you see one of these errors, or no error at all, read below for some steps to help you add your Nest Protect to the Nest app.
1. Check the Nest service status
To check the status of the Nest service, go to Nest System Status. While the service is down, you may also see a message "The Nest service can’t be reached right now" in the Nest app.
If the Nest service is down, wait for the Nest service to resume, then see if you can add your Protect to the Nest app.
2. Make sure the Nest app version is up to date
Make sure that you have the latest version of the Nest app on your phone or tablet. You can download it for free from the Apple App Store or Google Play. To make sure you have the newest version, you can uninstall and reinstall the app.
3. Make sure your home Wi-Fi is working
- If you’ve recently updated your Wi-Fi network’s name (SSID), password, or other settings, you may have to update your Protect’s Wi-Fi settings in the Nest app.
- If you haven’t changed any of these settings, check that your Wi-Fi network works for other devices.
- If other devices are connected to Wi-Fi but your Protect can’t connect, move on to step 4 in this article.
- If other devices are disconnected from Wi-Fi, move on to step 5 in this article.
Tip: If you’re using your cellphone to check, make sure it’s connected to the same Wi-Fi network as your Protect and cellular data is turned off. To help make sure cellular data is off, turn on Airplane mode and then turn on Wi-Fi.
4. Move closer to your router
You may have to move your Nest Protects and mobile device closer to your router as you try to add your Nest Protects to the Nest app.
Note: If you’re trying to add multiple Nest Protects to your account, wait until prompted by the Nest app to wake up each Nest Protect. This will help save Nest Protect’s battery power.
5. Restart your router
Restart your router to reset your internet connection. You should also restart any Wi-Fi range extenders or repeaters.
Note: Every router is different. You may need to consult your router’s user manual for specific instructions on how to restart your router.
- Unplug your modem and router power cords. You may have a combination modem/router, or they may be separate devices. All the lights on your modem and router should be off.
- Wait for 30 seconds, then plug your modem and router back in.
- Your modem and router will restart. Wait a couple of minutes or until you see steady power and connection lights. You may also see a quickly flashing data light.
- Once your router finishes restarting, test the Wi-Fi connection with another device.
- If other devices reconnect but not your Protect, move on to the next step in this article.
- If none of your devices reconnect, contact your internet service provider to check the service status in your area.
6. Reset your Nest Protect and Mobile device
Reset your Nest Protect to its default settings. You should also restart your phone or tablet and reopen the Nest app.
Important: Make sure you have Bluetooth and Wi-Fi turned on on your phone or tablet before you try to add your Nest Protect to the app again.
Double check that you’re using the correct SSID and password for your Wi-Fi network as you set up your Nest Protect.
7. Check the settings on your Wi-Fi router or access point
If you can’t add your Nest Protect to the Nest app, this can be a result of incompatible settings on your home Wi-Fi router/access point.
2.4GHz and 5GHz network names
If you have a dual band router with both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands, make sure they have different names so that you can correctly connect your Protect to the 2.4 GHz network. Nest Protect can’t connect to a 5GHz network and may not be able to tell your networks apart.
Parental controls or firewall security
High firewall security or parental controls can block communication with Nest servers. Refer to your Wi-Fi router/access point documentation to see if these features are enabled on your network and how you can exempt your Protect from these restrictions.
Your Protect requires IPv6 in order to be added to the Nest app. Check your router's documentation to confirm that your router supports this setting and for information on how you can enable it.
8. Check the incompatible list
If you still can’t add your Nest Protect to the Nest app after you’ve checked your router’s settings, check whether your router or modem is on the incompatible list.
Note: Even if your router is on the incompatible list, some incompatibility problems can be resolved when you change your router settings or update your firmware.