Nest thermostats are compatible with most fans and systems that use standard 24-volt wiring. Most forced air systems have a simple single speed fan. Some systems have multi-speed or multi-stage fans that can spin at different speeds, similar to a ceiling fan.
- Nest Learning Thermostats are compatible with system fans that have one, two, or three speeds.
- The Nest Thermostat and Nest Thermostat E are only compatible with single speed system fans.
- Variable speed fans are compatible with Nest thermostats, but the fans will only operate at a single speed.
Check your fan compatibility
Nest thermostats are compatible with most systems that have a single 24-volt fan wire. The most common labels for these wires are G or G1.
- Use our compatibility checker and enter the wires in your current thermostat. The checker will let you know if you can install a Nest thermostat, and which model you'll need.
- If your system has more than one fan wire, you should contact a Nest Pro to have your Nest thermostat installed. Incorrect installation settings can damage your system, your Nest thermostat or both. Some systems that need to be installed by a Nest Pro include systems with G2, G3, GM, or GH wires.