Nest thermostats are compatible with most fans and systems that use standard 24-volt wiring. Most forced air systems have a simple single speed fan. Some systems have multi-speed or multi-stage fans that can spin at different speeds, similar to a ceiling fan.
- Nest Learning Thermostats are compatible with system fans that have one, two, or three speeds.
- The Nest Thermostat and Nest Thermostat E are only compatible with single speed system fans.
- Variable speed fans are compatible with Nest thermostats, but the fans will only operate at a single speed.
Note: High voltage forced air systems with fans and proprietary systems with fans are not compatible with Nest thermostats.
Check your fan compatibility
Nest thermostats are compatible with most systems that have a single 24-volt fan wire. The most common labels for these wires are G or G1.
- Use our compatibility checker and enter the wires in your current thermostat. The checker will let you know if you can install a Nest thermostat, and which model you'll need.
- If your system has more than one fan wire, you should contact a Nest Pro to have your Nest thermostat installed. Incorrect installation settings can damage your system, your Nest thermostat or both. Some systems that need to be installed by a Nest Pro include systems with G2, G3, GM, or GH wires.