Here’s all you need to know about how the free Google Nest Aware trial works.
How does the free trial work?
When you buy a Google Nest camera, a Nest Aware trial may be included. Depending on your region, a free trial may be unavailable due to privacy restrictions. After the trial ends, you'll need to subscribe to Nest Aware to continue using subscription features. To be eligible for a trial, your home must be in a country where Nest Aware subscriptions are available for purchase.
Note: Customers who purchase a pre-paid Nest Aware service, such as the Google Nest Hello video doorbell and 1-year Nest Aware service bundle, will not get a trial.
What does the trial include?
You'll get a peek into the Nest Aware subscription service. You will be able to:
- Get more intelligent alerts, including specific alerts when your camera sees or hears a person.
- Create Activity Zones to highlight areas you want to your camera keep a closer eye on, and get custom alerts when it detects motion there.
- Record 5 days of rolling video history, viewable at any time with the Nest app on your phone, tablet, or computer.
If you've already purchased a Nest Aware subscription that includes a longer video history, the trial period won't limit your video history to 5 days. You'll be able to access the full video history that's included with your subscription. However, if you purchased a subscription from one of our partners, their free trial policy may be different. Contact the partner to learn more.
- Create and share video clips or timelapses.
How do I sign up for the free trial?
When you add your camera to the Nest app, depending on where you live, you may automatically be signed up for a free trial that will begin right away.
If you purchase a pre-paid Nest Aware service bundle, such as a Nest Hello video doorbell and 1-year pre-paid Nest Aware service bundle, you won’t get a free trial. Your service starts when you add your camera to the app.
Can I still participate in the trial I didn't buy my Nest camera from Nest?
It depends. If you purchased a Nest Hello video doorbell and 1-year pre-paid Nest Aware service bundle, you won't get a free trial. Your service starts when you add your camera to the app.
Generally, you should have access to the free Nest Aware trial even if you didn’t purchase your Nest camera from Nest. Your free trial will start when you add your camera to the Nest app. However, a free Nest Aware trial may be unavailable in your region.
Keep in mind, if you subscribed to Nest Aware through one of our partners, the free trial may end when you purchase a subscription from them. Contact the partner for more details.
How will I know when my trial starts and ends?
If you're eligible, the Nest Aware trial starts when you add your camera to the Nest app. Depending on your region, a free trial may be unavailable. You can purchase a subscription for Nest Aware at any time during your trial or after it ends.
- If you buy a camera and an annual or monthly subscription at the same time through the Nest Store, you still get a free trial, and billing will start after your free trial ends.
- If you purchase a pre-paid service bundle, such as a Nest Hello video doorbell and 1-year pre-paid Nest Aware service bundle, you won't get a free trial. Your service starts when you add your camera to the app.
- If you purchase a subscription from one of our partners, their trial policy may be different. Contact the partner to learn more.
To check when your trial ends:
- Visit store.nest.com on your mobile or computer web browser.
- If you’re on a mobile web browser, tap Menu in the top left corner.
- If you’re on a computer’s web browser, click the Account icon in the top right corner.
- Select Subscriptions. For mobile, you may have to scroll down to see this option.
- Sign in to your account.
- If you have more than one home, first select the home with the free trial you wish to view.
- You’ll see the date your trial ends below each camera for each Nest Aware trial. If you don’t see a date then you may not have a trial.
What happens when my trial ends?
To continue to use the features that come with your Nest Aware trial, you’ll need to purchase a Nest Aware subscription.
- If you’ve already purchased a subscription directly from Nest, it will automatically start after your free trial ends. You don’t need to do anything else to continue to use Nest Aware’s premium features.
- If you purchased a subscription from one of our partners, you’ll need to enter the activation code they gave you. To learn more, see our article about subscribing to Nest Aware through one of our partners.
When the trial ends, if you haven’t purchased a subscription or if you purchased a subscription from one of our partners and haven’t entered the activation code, you’ll lose access to Nest Aware’s premium features, including person detection and recorded video history. While you will still have access to any video clips or timelapses that you’ve saved, the rest of your recorded video history will be erased when the trial period ends.
Where can I learn more about Nest Aware and how to buy it?
You can learn more about the features by clicking the links below.
Can I cancel or opt out of my free trial?
Yes. If you do not want to participate in this free trial and wish to cancel it, you can cancel it by following these steps:
In a web browser on a Mac or Windows computer
- From the Nest app home screen, tap Settings .
Note: If you have multiple homes, be sure to select the right home and camera.
- Tap Nest Aware.
- You’ll see a screen that lists some features of Nest Aware. At the bottom, select Subscribe to Nest Aware. This will take you to a page where you can cancel your free trial.
- A Nest Store screen appears. If you have more than one home, first select the home that has the free trial you wish to cancel.
- Select Manage beside the camera that you want to cancel the free trial for.
- Select Cancel service. Follow the onscreen instructions to confirm cancellation.
On the telephone
You can call Nest support at any time to cancel the free trial.